Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

Week One- Check!

Well, we've survied the first week of school.  Altough on Tuesday and Wednesday I wasn't sure, I am now fairly optimistic that we will survive the first quarter, and possibly even the entire year.  (Wouldn't want to get ahead of myself!)  This post is mostly for me, so I can remember all the funny and trying times of this week.  Highlights (and lowlights) of the week:

Madeline:  Loves school.  No really, loves it.  Like she needs school to breathe.  Adores her teacher.  Takes everything (EVERYTHING) her teacher says as gospel.  She's done her homework faithfully each night, enthusiastically even.  Including writing over a page en español last night!  She says things like, "It's important that I own my education!" and "Be a learner, not a finisher!"  She told me the other morning that one thing she really liked about Ms K was that if someone gave an answer that was wrong, Ms K would make it right.  Madeline said it much more articulately than I just did, but basically what she meant was that her teacher values the students' approximations and the process over the product.  I love that she's that kind of teacher, and I also love that Madeline observed that and vocalized it.  She's going to have a great year.

Photobucket

Garrett:  Each day has been a little better for Garrett.
Tuesday- gets in the car and says, matter of factly, "They are speaking Spanish tomorrow, so I can't go.  I don't speak Spanish."  Keep in mind that he was in dual language last year as well.  Also shrugged his shoulders and said, "Mom, I'm just not a 1st grade kid!"  I envisioned my son as an kindergarten educated 30 year old and then told him it just wasn't a choice, he was going to have to become a '1st grade kid.'  During the evening and following morning he became less matter of fact and more weepy about it.  Not fun.  (AT ALL!)
Wednesday- I walked him in and he cried (barely, but still) when I left him.  I peeked in at him later and he seemed fine.  Came home that night and said that school was 'ok'.  We went on a family run/bike ride that night and he crashed.  Cried a bunch after that and said, "I don't want to go to school if my elbow is going to hurt!"  (It did, but he still went.)  Also, when we talked about PE being the following day he said, "Hmm, yeah, I want to learn more about that PE."  Incidentally, PE turned out to be a big hit.  When describing a recess today he said, "And I think one of the recesses today was the best one yet!"  And then he told me a story about he and James chasing girls.  Yikes.
Thursday- On the way to school he sighed and moaned, "I hope today isn't going to be another horrible day!"  I said, "What are you talking about?  Yesterday wasn't horrible!"  He said, "Um, yeah it was!  SILENT READING?!?!"
Friday- Came home and actually said that he had a good day and that maybe school was fun.  Okay, so he didn't declare it or anything, I asked him leading questions to get him there, but there haven't been tears for quite a while.  He is very excited that he gets a TWO DAY BREAK!

Carter doesn't start preschool until Monday.  It's been really weird having The Bigs gone all day.  It's a long day, and we miss them!  

1 comment:

Mom said...

They are the BIGS, sor sure. I am so proud of them and love their uniqueness! Maddy's skirt is sure darling. where did she get it?????