Pages

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Magic

So, not 10 minutes (okay, maybe 20) after the last post, Joel worked his computer-savy-magic-mojo on the modem and who knows what else and now we have internet again!  Yahoo!  So here are a few 'real' pics of my big kids this morning.  We were in a hurry and they were nervous, so they aren't fab . . .
Photobucket
Carter says, "Can you take a picture of me doing my tricks?"  Of course.
Photobucket
Here is our 'Tween.'  She is sweet and funny and we wouldn't trade her.  She loves, loves, LOVES school so far and talked about it solid from the time she got in the car until she went to bed.  We had to reign her in a little so her brother could get a word in edgewise.
Photobucket
Photobucket
He is a mix of annoyed with and nervous about school.  He is nervous about the unknown parts, and he's annoyed about everything else (except lunch, recess, and friends).  It's not that it's hard for him, mostly he just would rather be jumping on the trampoline, playing soccer or basketball, or, well, pretty much anything that isn't school.  I would never admit to him that I know he feels this way though.  Tonight we were talking about school tomorrow and he said to me, deadly serious, "I told you, I'm not going tomorrow."  Like, "I tried it, didn't like it, and I'm done."  I have a feeling the next 16 years are going to be entertaining.  For you.
Photobucket
Photobucket
My mom said, "Was he excited to see James?"  I said, "Define excited," and then showed her this photo.  That about does it.  And yes, that is pretty much excited for them.
Photobucket
Speaking of excited, that's what Carter, Molly and I were after we left school.  We hightailed it to Starbucks and met up with Teresa, and Allison, and Abby who didn't have to be at work until later!

I don't really have it in me tonight to detail everything about today.  It's weird to have a 4th grader.  It's weird to think that 10 years ago right now she was just a little alien in my belly and now she's this smart, funny, loveable girl who gives her brother lectures about choosing to be a 'learner and not a finisher' and talks about 'taking responsibility' for her own education.  She's like a walking after school special, and that's one of the things I love about her.

It's also weird that Garrett is a first grader.  It's weird that our afternoons together alone (while Carter napped) are over.  It's weird that he will eat lunch at school every day.  So weird.  He's tall and lanky and funny and smart, but he's also such a little guy inside.  He's tender and unsure and melts my heart ALL OF THE TIME.

So.  Here's to another weird year of life.  It's sure to bring plenty of laughs, memories, adventures and tears.  (And hopefully a little magic.)  Bring.  It.  On.

 (And yes, Garrett IS going to school tomorrow.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I KNOW! How is it that we have FOURTH graders? I loved that grade though...so much fun and good memories. I can only hope for the same for our kids.

Hannah said...

Sarri, you do such a great job capturing you kids both with the pictures and your words. It is amazing how you sum them all up perfectly!

Tracy said...

They. Are. So. Big. How does that happen?

neeter said...

I'm sniffling

Mom said...

Sweet babes!Growing too fast.