Pages

Friday, September 25, 2009

More About Pee

Photobucket
So see this darling little picnic basket.  It's totally vintage.  It was made by Fisher Price, and it was mine when I was little.  There is this adorable bear 'thermos' that went with it, along with some other miscellaneous picnic gear.  I checked on ebay, and while it's not worth much, the vintage is apparently around 1974.  I wasn't born then, so I don't know about that, but I'm telling you, it's relatively old.  And very cute.

Photobucket
Oh my goodness, I promise those are not pee droplets on that thing.

It's been a favorite toy of each of my kids- and it's historically lived at Nana Pam's house.  Carter is currently into it, (more obsessed than you know, but you're about to find out), and for some reason it's here now.

So, last night the kids stayed at my mom's overnight because Joel and I had tickets to see The Killers (oh my word, it was SO good, and even though I thought for a moment I was too old for such things, I was totally wrong).  This morning, bright and way too early I went to get them, and brought them home to get ready for school.  On the quick drive back to our house they received strict instructions to go potty and get dressed- quickly!  They all three ran upstairs and got started.  A few minutes later I noticed that Carter's door was shut, so I thought I'd better peek in to see what he was up to.

Oh boy.  I was not prepared for this, not at all.  Not even a little.  (Are you?)  He was sitting on his soft, over sized, stuffed monkey chair, with his pjs pulled down, just a little, and peeing into the vintage, Fisher Price, darling, picnic basket!  PEEING INTO IT.  And the worst part about all of this?  IT WAS FULL OF PEE.  This was not the first time.  The puzzle pieces started coming together in my mind- a few days earlier I felt like his room smelled faintly of pee, but I sniffed all around his dirty clothes, etc.  To make matters beyond worse, he'd been storing his picnic basket full of URINE URINE! in his BOOK BASKET.  And now that it was quite full, there were wet books.  Wet from pee.  Wet from pee that my cutie pie, darling son had been STORING.  IN HIS ROOM.  IN HIS BOOK BASKET.  Oh my word, I swear my adrenaline is rising again just telling you about it.

I'll leave out the account of the following 20 minutes.  It included a lot of Not Fun.  I am pretty sure that we've established that peeing will only happen in the proper receptacle in the future.  We threw away some books (sob), blah blah blah.  Of course I can't, won't throw away my picnic basket.  It was soaked, sprayed, scrubbed . . . rinse, repeat.  I'm hoping the stickers on it dry decently, but really, what was I to do?  It WAS FULL OF URINE.  (ACK!  Still not used to it!  FULL OF URINE!)

Photobucket
The lid fits on pretty well.  Perfect for carrying pee around.  It's empty here, however.

So see?  Life in the Gibson house?  Not always rosy!  (But very often good for a story.)

6 comments:

Visty said...

That's a tiny basket, but for a pee receptacle of a small child, it is very, very BIG. Oh my word. Did you have to throw away any old books?

Unknown said...

What is it with boys and their pee?

Anonymous said...

Wow...I was going to say something about therapy but I may need some after reading that! kidding

Boys do do strange things...

Mother said...

The picnic basket doesn't have to "live" at my house anymore. It is allllll yours!

Michelle said...

I'm sorry, I know it probably isn't funny to you, but I was laughing hysterically through this post. I can just see him there sitting all innocently thinking he was doing the best thing ever. And how generous that your mom wants you to keep it at your own house now. :)

neeter said...

Oh I think Carter is awesome. And I admit that I am a wee bit scared.