For the next installment of 'It's That Time of Year Again!' we are featuring . . . Tilikum! Why yes, I love Tilikum! Oh, you hadn't heard? That's weird. Maybe because you've never met me. Because if you have, I talk about my love for Camp Tilikum ALL OF THE TIME.
See: Tilikum 2007. And Again. And Tilikum 2008. And a blast from the past!
This year was particularly exciting though because Garrett is finally old enough to attend day camp. He's been eyeing the place longingly for 2 years now while Sissy went, and he was theoretically excited about going.
But sometimes 'theoretically excited' turns into downright scared. And it also probably doesn't work in one's favor to attend a 7 hour long day camp when a) one is only used to 2.5 hour day at kindergarten and b) one is still recovering from fevers in the 105 range and hallucinations and c) one traveled 8 hours home from Idaho the previous day.
So we'll just say that after Day One for Garrett, I had to adjust my perspective and expectations for him a leeeettle. (We LOVE TILIKUM! We are a TILIKUM FAMILY! YOU WILL LOVE THIS PLACE! WHO DOESN'T LOVE TILIKUM? I HAVE NEVER MET ANYONE WHO DOESN'T! EVER!) (No, I didn't say those things aloud to him, but I yelled them to myself a lot.)
(These side conversations I'm having are a little weird.) When I picked Garrett up from camp that afternoon, his Staff Person (Otter), asked me if there was anything she should know about Garrett and that he hadn't turned his neck all day and she was planning on reading through his paper work after the kids went home to see if there was any modification information she should know. She kept assuring me that it was "Fine!" that he didn't move his head or turn his neck, as she giggled nervously. She was actually really sweet about the whole thing. As it turned out Garrett has been in a lot of pain for a portion of the day- still not feeling great, and he didn't want to tell her because he didn't know my phone number. He cried all the way home. Hard. It was awful. When Madeline said something about, "Tomorrow . . . " he cried, "There's MORE?!?!" Waaaaaaaaahhhhh.
Madeline on the other hand, was quite the literal happy camper. She was there with 2 of her great buddies, she was in the group of a girl staff person (she's had boys the last two years and really wanted a girl this time), and not just any girl. She's in Chip's group. Which is a big deal because when Chip was in 3rdish grade, and I was 21 years old working at Camp Tilikum (best summer of my life, up until then, in case you hadn't heard), 'Chip' (who's real name is Julianne, but don't tell the campers because the big 'real name reveal' isn't until Friday), was in my group! Ah Life, you are so funny just going full circle over and over and over and over again. I think Chip may have even prearranged Sissy being in her group, which was so sweet and awesome.
We let the kids rest up that evening and gave G some pain meds. By late evening he was up and running around and generally talking in a positive way about camp and going there again. By Tuesday morning he was up and dressed before I had to wake him. He came in my room asking, "Are these clothes okay for Camp Tilikum?" I figured we were good to go. I gave him some Motrin, and packed some Tylenol that I gave to 'Otter' (I have no idea what her real name is.) upon arrival at Tilikum. She sought me out and asked how he was, I thought that was so nice. Garrett and Maddy were walking with her towards the big meeting place and I turned to leave. G looked so nervous, but he was really brave. Maddy held his hand and they walked away. I did too. Later, Maddy told me, "He kept turning around as long as he could see you, Mom, and then when he couldn't anymore he squeezed my hand really tight, and made that really sad face where he pushes his lips together and tries not to cry." So sad!
Well, by the time I came to pick them up, it was a different story entirely. All the campers were under the playshed, singing songs and watching the daily 'Lost and Found Fashion Show' and as soon as I pulled up G caught my eye. He was watching and laughing and looked so happy. As soon as he saw me, his grin got even bigger and he shot me the "I Love You" sign, along with a thumbs up. Relief! After they were dismissed I talked with Otter and she said that he'd had a happy day. He and Madeline talked a million miles an hour on the way home (and then onto Lincoln City which I will blog about later), and while he is fairly (extremely) vague with details, I do believe he had a great time. There was something about going to the barn and maybe a cute goat? There may have been parachute games (or maybe not?) and definitely was newt catching. I say 'definitely' there because Madeline saw his group catching newts while she was canoeing and so she filled me in about that.
Maybe he'll be a lover of all things Tilikum after all. (They are there right now, so I'm hoping today is going well! You know I'll tell you though!)



2 comments:
Oh, Garrett! He is an original, for sure!Be sure and call us to let us know how things went today. We miss little "Squeaky!"
You have had sooooo many visitors to your blogsite! That is really cool. You are such a great writer and photographer. It is always fun to read your blog!
Post a Comment