Pages

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Adventures in Idaho- Part 1: Golf Cart Rides and Morning Ice Cream Cones


We were home one day from our beach trip and we packed up and left for several nights in Idaho. We arrived in Nampa around 10:30 Tuesday night. Garrett, who recently spent a week there wanted to show us a few things upon our late night arrival. Without hearing his gravely little voice, and the purpose and way he talks, some of this may be lost- but it's one of those things that I don't want to forget. We dropped my mom off at my Papa's house, and then we were going out to my Aunt's. As we were pulling up, Garrett said, "Hey, go this way. I want to show you something." He points left, opposite of the way I was going to go. Keep in mind- it's 10:30 at night and pitch dark. But he was intent, and I wanted to see what was so important.

Well, he gave us the grand tour.
"Over there is where I get Papa's mail. Now go down this road. See that little house right there? That's where that little girl lived that I saw. I think she was just visiting though. She's probably gone now."
Maddy said, "Was she pretty, Garrett?"
Garrett shrugged, "I don't know, you'd probably like her. . . now go this way."
We drove past the neighborhood garden. Garrett motions over there, "That's where we visited with Ron. Now he offered us to come over for ice cream, Carter and Maddy too. (pause) Ron has a wife!"
We continued around the community and Garrett gave us the grand tour. It was hilarious to see him taking the tour guide role after his several nights away from us.



Well, the next morning my Papa talked to Ron (who has a wife!) at coffee. He told Ron that the kids were planning on coming over for ice cream. I'm sure it was just a "Hey! You should come over for ice cream sometime!", like a hypothetical, or a nice thing that adults say to kids. Of course my Garrett took it at complete face value. So Ron went out to get ice cream, and Papa got cones, and they made some up, put them in Ron's freezer. After breakfast on Wednesday Papa loaded my babies up on the golf cart for a ride. When they didn't return in 10 minutes, I thought something must be up. Sure enough, Papa drove them down to Ron's and they treated my kids to ice cream cones before noon. The kids were thrilled, and it just tickles me to imagine my Papa and 'Ron' corralling my kids and spoiling. Pretty sweet. It's such a gift that my kids get to know my grandpa the way I know him.

2 comments:

Mom said...

So glad the kids will have memories of Mom & Dad! What sweet pictures ...full of love.
xoxoxox

Paige Lomas said...

Your pictures are precious. I love that angles you take.