Pages

Monday, March 30, 2009

Even 5 Year Olds Can Spring Clean

Today on the way home Garrett asked me if he could 'redo' the pantry. I don't know WHERE my mind was, so I agreed. I certainly wasn't thinking that he'd do this:

I know, isn't that embarrassing? My pantry wasn't that bad initially, I swear!

He wasn't joking- he totally emptied it. (Except for the top 2 shelves- heavy cans and glass bottles are off limits!)

I gave my husband an aneurysm by sending him this photo:

I helped only a little- threw out some stale crackers and some past prime pancake mixes. (And Cream of Wheat. That expired in 2000 What? How did that last that long?? That means it moved with us. Possibly twice!)

It took him a couple of hours, but he stuck with it, (a trait he apparently gets from his dad, not his mom. I would have bailed an hour into it and made Joel help me), and eventually got to this:


I know, not too bad, right?

Let's look a little closer. It's full of little gems like this:


I am positive Garrett has big plans for that candy (which is not nearly as old as the Cream of Wheat, I promise), probably something to do with 'playdate' and 'Grayson.'

Interesting placement!

And this- see the conversation hearts balanced in that random corner? Mom will never notice if they disappear!


I love the spice packets arranged for maximum viewing pleasure:

Oh, he was so proud!

10 comments:

lovemytannerman said...

Can he be rented by the hour? I have somethings around here that need cleaned out.

He did such a good job and looks so proud!

Pam said...

Oh, my! He is so stinkin' cute, but I am glad it is your house and not mine! Think he has it out of his system ... all of that organizing?!

dixie said...

SO sweet! And, um, can I borrow him when he's done at Ruby's?

Ms Amanda said...

That was fantastic! You must have been so patient. And Garrett is clearly pleased with himself!
I'm with him, by the way, keep the candy available for play dates!

Michelle said...

Very cute! His future wife will LOVE an organized man. :)

Annie Schilperoort Photography said...

Oh my goodness that is the cutest thing I've ever seen. I love his organization!! Please tell him we are very impressed with his work! I think it's even better that you let him have free-reign of the pantry...and that he stuck with it! I'm definitely showing this to Cade tomorrow. He loves the posts about Garrett. :)

Jennie said...

I am impressed! I think I'll show this to Peter and Charlotte and see if it inspires them to do something similar.

Anonymous said...

Those little cups of candy are AWESOME. Those gears must have been going in his sweet lil' head!

I love it!

Becky said...

He is amazing!! He always has treated his playing as work from the time he was around 1, so I guess, most of his life!! He looks so tall. I am in such withdrawal. I haven't seen your kids since the first week of December when I came over.

Melanie Penelope said...

OMG, you are crazy!! No way in heck I'd let me kids redo my pantry! Hahaha! But he did a fabu job - and he DOES look so tall!