Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Champoeg


We had long to-do lists this morning, but when we got up, we decided to instead load up the bikes and head to Champoeg. This is a state park with historical significance about 30 minutes from our home. It is pronounced 'Shampoo-ee', which my boys thought was hilarious.

C: We go ShamPOOee, Mom?
Me: Yes, Carter, we're going to Champoeg.
C: ShamPOOee! Dat FUNNY!

Mmm hmm, I guess.

Anyway, we had a nice time riding bikes. Next time we go in August, we think we'll try for riding at 8am instead of 11, but the shade felt nice, and the sun reminded us that summer isn't over yet!

-P.S. Stefanie- that's so funny that you saw us! I wasn't doing much looking at cars and people- I was too busy shouting instructions to my children so they wouldn't get 'pancaked.'

5 comments:

Annie Schilperoort Photography said...

Sarri, we would love to meet you guys to do that again sometime! We've been planning on working that in all summer and now I want to do it even more since it looks like you all had a great time!

Paige Lomas said...

I love that you have to make a pronunciation guide for those outside of Yamhill County...good think Champoeg is not in Tigard (tiggard) or Willaminia (Will-a-mean-nia)...glad you all had a great time!

neeter said...

Russ likes to frisbee golf there. It's a nice park.

What's pancaking?

Anonymous said...

I LOVE how you did the pronounciation guide! (I realize it was hilarious for the boys but anyway.) I was at the Post Office here in Delaware, shipping some packages to Washougal, Seattle, etc. and the clerk asked me how to pronounce Washougal. Then he said us Pacific Northwesterners were "weird" (!!) with how we say things. He was on the West Coast years ago for a job and whenever he went to Portland, I guess he butchered Willamette. People were correcting him "It's Willamette, da@@it!!" Yikes.
I think more weird things are like Sequim and Puyallup.

Stefanie said...

Love the collage here! Wasn't it a beautiful day there? We stayed in the deep shade though and couldn't imagine biking in the sunshine...

I have such fond memories of childhood there - good for you guys for taking the kids out...

So, is it photobucket that helps you with those fun collages, or is it another program you have?