Pages

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Today is Weird

Today's the day that all the teachers in our school district report to work. It's a weird day for me. I still think of myself as a teacher, I still say 'we' when I talk about teachers or our school district, even though my only affiliation now is as a parent and a tax payer.

I love my role as sahm (did you know it had it's own acronym?), but it is always strange to think of many of my friends rolling into school, taking a deep breath as they walk in, closing the doors on summer. I imagine them in meetings, and while I can't say I am sad to be missing all day meetings, I am a little wistful thinking of them sitting around a table, laughing, and engaging a part of their brain that I've mostly filed away for now.

It was two years ago yesterday that I walked into the District Office, sobbing my eyes out, and turned in my resignation. At that point, I honestly thought that after a year, I would want to go back. Now I can't pinpoint a time that I really will. I am excited about the upcoming school year, as I will get to do some substituting, and I will be working with a couple of student teachers as well. And I will, of course, be spending a lot of time in a particular kindergarten classroom, and a particular third grade classroom.

Being at home is still a good fit for our family, but today is still . . . weird.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Remember, I was there 2 years ago. I had sweet time with your babes. Didn't you have to go & help Judy set the room up while they got someone to fill your shoes (like anyone could!) You made a good decision. I still consider myself a manager, although it has been way longer than 2 years. I don't consider myself a teacher though. I don't think I really ever did. Isn't that strange? The amazing thing about you is that whatever you do, you do with your whole heart. One more reason that I adore you!

Sarri said...

That's right, you were there while I alternately sobbed and was on cloud 9! I actually had to go set up 'my' office that week (I was a reading specialist then). After I did that, they had to move the whole thing somewhere else.

Paige Lomas said...

I think you made a great decision...and here my husband is this year making a similar one for our family and it feels good for all of us! You would not have Europe if you still had MSD...but it has got to be wierd. It is a bit strange for me this year too...I also to to opening session with my friend Traci, lattes in hand and this year...I had Zac in my arms...different, but well worth it!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe it's been two years already! I remember your reasoning for wanting to stay at home, and how much it was pulling at you. When it is the right time, you'll go back and be thankful for this time you took.

I am feeling a little empty this year, too! Even though I am happy with my choice.