Pages

Saturday, March 7, 2009

(more) Big News (Garrett's turn!)

Sometimes it seems like stuff just comes in waves. At times it's bad stuff. (Been there, done that) But right now, thankfully, it's good stuff. Fun stuff, EXCITING STUFF!

Earlier this week it was Sissy, but today it was Garrett!

This morning was his first soccer game of the season. It was SO COLD. I'm still unthawing. He loved it though. He was so excited, as was the rest of his team. And I have to say, even though we didn't 'win' today, I am pretty sure we have the sweetest, most fun bunch of kindergarten boys that there ever were. They are so great. And I swear I am not just saying that because half of their moms read my blog. If you want to see photos of our first game, you can head over to Judy's. I only took one, and Garrett looks like he has an alien head in it, so we'll skip it.

But the other SUPER BIG NEWS for Garret today was this:

He's had a loose tooth for quite a while. Last week we noticed that the big permanent tooth was coming up behind and we knew it wouldn't be much longer. We told him, "That big tooth will push your little tooth out!" Well, this morning as we were rushing around for soccer, Joel was helping him brush his teeth and out that little tooth came. Garrett said, "The big tooth didn't push it out, YOU PUSHED IT OUT!" And then he cried. It didn't hurt, but there was a lot of blood (really, a lot- I was surprised!), and I think it kind of freaked him out. Anyway, all that drama wore off quickly and he was SO stoked. Joel and I were too. Maddy and Carter were with Nana Pam, and they were all going to meet us at the game, along with Joel's parents and grandma. Garrett was so excited to share his big news that he told me, "Now Mom, I want this to be a surprise, so PLEASE DON'T SMILE!"

He is quite excited for the big tooth fairy visit tonight! See that pillow clutched in his left hand? That's his 'tooth pillow' that he made with Nana Pam when we noticed the tooth was loose a few weeks ago. So now, his little tooth is nestled safe in the pillow, awaiting a visit from the tooth fairy.

Teeth kind of gross me out, but I did roll this one around in my hand for a moment, earlier today. It's such a milestone, so symbolic when the first baby tooth comes out. (I know, I'm a little dramatic. Maddy comes by it honestly.) I remember feeling his little swollen gums when he was just a tiny baby (actually he was never, ever tiny) and this same tooth was working it's way through. How can that little baby be this huge boy now? With legs so long that they nearly touch the floor when I carry him down the stairs? Who can do math homework without asking for help, and who has spent the past 2 years collecting every single state quarter? Don't get me wrong- there is still a lot of 'little boy' about him. He still loves to snuggle his mama. He still wants to be carried downstairs each morning, even though I have to concentrate so hard on the stairs so we both don't tumble down. He still wants me to sing "Baa Baa Black Sheep" to him each night and instead of 'prayers' he says, 'pers.'
Truthfully, I'm glad my kids are growing up. I love watching them turn into the people they are meant to be. I know that's how it works. I read recently, "The days are long. The years are short." Cliche? Maybe. But dang, it is ridiculously true.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm thinking we're going to need to see the picture of alien-headed Garrett. You really can't tease us w/ something like that.

This growing up stuff is all so bittersweet, isn't it?

Ty and Molly said...

You are such a GREAT mom Sarri! I love reading updates on your babies and being just a little sad that soon enough Maya will be a big girl too. She just sprouted her first two teeth and I think that I will think of this moment when she looses one of them. You rock! M

Jennie said...

Hooray for Garrett! I will have to show this to Peter. He has his first loose tooth and can't wait for it to fall out.