Pages

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Lightning Readers


This post could also be titled, Maddy's Great Day.

As I've mentioned before, Madeline is on a Battle of the Books team. They've had several battles, and emerged victorious from all except one. I am not really sure how the whole thing works, but their loss last week moved them down a bracket, and today they had their most important battle yet. If they lost, they would have been eliminated from Battle of the Books for this year. And if they won? They'd get to participate in the final battle at their school. The winner from their school gets to battle at the district level.

Anyway, all of that is to say that these kids have worked HARD. They've read the books. Many, many times. They've battled against 3rd graders, 4th graders, and 5th graders- and WON. I am so proud of them all! Madeline was so nervous for the battle today. We talked about how much her team has to be proud of; working hard, doing their best; being good sports; and being undefeated for several rounds. Win or lose, we'd be proud of her. Not a big deal.

Of course, when the 11:45 rolled around and we were all in the library watching them, IT WAS SUCH A BIG DEAL. My heart was in my throat, I was sweating, and I wasn't sure if I was going to throw up or cry. I was so nervous for them. Somehow, the Lightning Readers were much more composed than their parents. They answered questions with such maturity, such poise. They were a team the entire time, and when they missed a question or two, they didn't get rattled- didn't turn against each other.

Halfway through, they were ahead by 4 points. Not a huge spread- each question is worth a maximum of 5 points, so things can change quickly.

But the second round was not even close. The end score was . . .

'4th grade Other Team' 25 points













LIGHTNING READERS 42 POINTS!!!!!!!

It was all I could do not to jump out of my seat and cheer. But I had to be an example of a 'good sport' so I clapped for both teams politely, and then hugged my daughter as tightly as I could as soon as I got my hands on her. Later, her teacher emailed the parents and said how proud she was of the kids- for their hard work and winning, but also for being such good sports and telling the other team 'good job.' She said that she's never seen other teams do that.

And now, as I sat down to write this post, I received another email from Maddy's teacher. Apparently she was a winner in the local public library essay contest on, 'How Libraries Connect The World.' I didn't even know that she wrote an essay about that OR that she entered it. Wow! She gets to go to the library for a reception and to read her piece. I can't wait to hear it.

There are plenty of days in parenting that are hard. HARD. But today was not one of them. For once, we've had a good day (so far) on all three fronts. Carter and I enjoyed a little 'date' at Starbucks this morning. Garrett and I are cuddled up on the couch right now. And I am so proud of sweet Madeline. I can't wait to get her from school and listen to the excitement pour out of her!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW! I love my grandkids and am super proud of them too! GO MADDY!

Anonymous said...

WOW! I love my grandkids and am super proud of them too! GO MADDY!

Anonymous said...

What happened? I really do love them! And this is not anonymous. It is the president of their fan club...their Nana!

Sarri said...

So, my mom is really excited, if you can't tell. ;)

Michelle said...

That is really great! Tell her good job from me. And great job winning the essay. What a big day for her. Enjoy! :)

Melanie Penelope said...

Congratulations, Maddy!!!! You should be so proud, Sarri! :D

Allison said...

I just love these kids! They were so great. And CONGRATULATIONS TO MADDY!! Somehow your picture was making the rounds at my school today too. You're a famous photographer now. . . .