
I thought I'd whip up some cookies tonight. Tomorrow is Maddy's team's District level Battle- they compete with the other finalist teams from the other schools in town. Following in my mom's footsteps, I thought some homemade cookies would be just the perfect addition to a long evening at the high school for our families.
You have to understand that my mom is practically famous for her homemade cookies. When I was growing up she made cookies for everything. Track meet? She sent cookies. (Seriously- every. single. track meet.) Snow day? She made cookies. Bad break up? Good break up? No break up? Go to Sarri's for her mom's cookies! Cookies for moving, cookies for snacks, cookies for backyard sleep outs. And they were always GOOD.
So, tonight was Joel's night to tuck in the babes, the dishes were quick and easy, and I had a new recipe to try. You can say the new recipe was my problem, but honestly this happens to me EVERY SINGLE TIME. ANY RECIPE I TRY. It's so frustrating!
My cookies are flat. And thin. They taste fine, good even. (A little sweet for my taste.) But WHY are they SO FLAT AND THIN. And the recipe said to scoop by the teaspoon, which I did, and it would make 3 dozen. Not true! We ate 5, and there are maybe a dozen left! Ugh. But really! Why are they so ugly??? WHY do my cookies always look gross?
So sorry Denneys and Eitzens. I won't be bringing homemade cookies for us to chew on. We'll have to stick to chewing on our fingernails to calm our nerves.
.jpg)



9 comments:
For what it's worth I wish I could have one. :) They look yummy!
Ok, so my only advice is to use shortening instead of butter. I know it's a very unhealthy ingredient, but that's what I always use when I make cookies. I think the recipe looks delish though.
I'll vouch for the famous cookies...
Funny, I was going to tell you the same tip that Hannah Noel said. I always use shortening instead of butter for my Choc. chip cookies and people always ask why they aren't flat. Shortening is bad for you I know...but really isn't the whole cookie really not nutritious anyway? ;) Good luck to the kiddos today.
Oh Sarri, I know just how you feel. I have a sister (Joanna) who bakes, decorates and is pretty much Marth Stewartish. Me on the other hand, I can't make a cake without it cracking in the middle!
Nooooo, not shortening!!!!.... :)
or just refrigerate the cookie dough in the bowl after mixing for 20- 30 minutes before you start baking them...works every time for me...
Hi friend - try this one! I made them about a week ago and they turned out AWESOME. Oatmeal cookies were the ones I never made at home, cause they didn't taste right. These cured me!:)
http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/02/thick-chewy-oatmeal-raisin-cookies/
I think the thin, flat (but delicious looking, all the same) cookies might be due to your cookie sheet. Whenever I use one of those "air bake" cookie sheets or a dark-coated cookie sheet, they turn out thin and flat. When I use my stainless steel, rimmed 1/2 sheet pans, they turn out perfectly. The ones I swear by are like these:
http://www.williams-sonoma.com/products/b039/index.cfm?pkey=csheet%2Dpans%2Dcookie%2Dsheets
Post a Comment