Pages

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Things I Love. Part 8


I've been running for 5 weeks-ish now and am really starting to feel good. At first I couldn't go more than a minute or two of jogging before I'd have to walk. Now? I'm going around 2.5 miles!! I have a long way to go before July 11, but I am pretty excited at my progress. I'm still slow- I think I am hitting an embarrassing 10+ minutes per mile, but it's a start.

I'm working on my mental toughness and ignoring the voice in my head that tells me I am really not up for this. This voice is like the devil on my shoulder and has been since I played softball in 3rd grade. (I am seriously not athletic at all.)

Voice: You are hurting. You'll never make it to a mile. Your legs hurt. You can't breathe. You can't do this. You really can't. You are out of shape. You aren't 16 anymore. You look stupid out here running. What if someone you know sees you?

Somehow I am learning to tune it out. To separate the voice from actual physical pain. Most of the time it is all mental and physically I am fine. Physically, I am getting stronger, and I CAN do it! I am making it to a mile, and I am breathing! And when the voice gets the best of me? I remember that I am a mom. I have been pregnant for 26 months of my life. I have been in labor 3 times. I spent 2.5 hours just pushing Madeline into this world. Seriously? I can run for 30 minutes. I just turn up the ipod and keep going.

I am doing it.

And when I get home? There is this waiting for me.

4 comments:

Judy said...

Good for you! I don't usually run on the roads anymore, but we should go for a run sometime! Neighbor Michelle runs home from the HOSPITAL when she gets off work!!! Can you believe that? I'm so not THAT into running, but 2.5-3 miles--it does make you feel good. :)

Hannah said...

A stopwatch? That's hardcore, Sarri!

Anonymous said...

You rock! I just don't know how I would do it. Especially this time of year.

CB said...

Way to go, Sarri!

You won't even catch me running to my car in a downpour...that's how much I L.O.V.E. running!