Pages

Thursday, February 5, 2009

Things I Love. Part 5

I wasn't sure what I was going to post about today. But of course, the ride to school gave me the material I needed.

It started with Garrett saying, "Remember when we were on our big adventure," (I love it when conversations start this way), "and we were driving into the night and it was stormy and Maddy and I fell asleep because it was so far?"

He was talking about driving from Bavaria to Hochwald and the drive that took so much longer than we'd planned. Then the conversation turned to our wild ride in Rome, winding through the dark, yet busy streets after we'd just landed. And then, the train ride through the Alps. The conversation ended, as most of these type do, in Cinque Terre, with memories of tunnels, bright blue ocean, and of course, fresh lemonade. All of this in the 4 miles between home and school.

I love how much Maddy and Garrett still hold from our adventure. I love these impromptu conversations that pop up several times a week. I love when Carter grins sheepishly and says, "Tunnel Babies!" Even he remembers glimpses. It was more than 5 weeks of tortellini and pizza and gelato for them.

So here's a few shots from nearly a year ago. (These are all from the Italy part of the trip.)

Rome:
Trevi Fountain

Pantheon

Tuscany:
View from our bedroom window.

Carter chased pigeons wherever we went. This particular time was in Siena.

Cinque Terre:


Venice:
Seriously, who would let their kids be wild in St. Marks square?? Oh, wait . . .

I am trying to hold onto the 'don't be sad it's over, be happy it happened' mantra, but dang. I would drag these babies back over there in a heartbeat.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sarri,
I love all the LOVE in all of the photos and the COLORS in the last one. Awesome. I'm still so in awe that you took that trip of a lifetime. Good for you!

Paige Lomas said...

CJ still talks about Mexico and he was 4!!!! Those big adventure trips are the best. Glad you have a fab camera to post all those pictures and look at them again and again!

Michelle said...

What a fun trip down memory lane looking at those pictures again. And gosh, the kids have grown a ton since then. They will remember that trip of a lifetime forever and those moments are so special. We don't go anywhere as grand as Italy (yet!), but even the trips to Hawaii and Disney with my parents are special times they remember and great memories.

Allison said...

I love the idea for these posts. I'm going to steal it, but I'll wait a few months so I can pretend it was my own idea! Aren't those rides to school the best? My favorite picture is the one of Maddy (even though she looks like a teenager) because I can see what her face looks like even though I can't actually see it!

Tracy said...

What an amazing trip! I love that your kids remember it. I keep hoping Kai will remember our years in Peru...