In case you think I've forgotten how mad I am about the recent findings the HFCS contains mercury and is marketed to our children, here are a few more things.
A list of the 55 name brand products that had levels of mercury. (Table A) Some of the things are really surprising. Keep in mind this isn't everything- it's just a sampling of the name brand products. That did test for mercury. I don't know how it works, but I wouldn't get a false sense of security that something not on this list is safe.
A coherent blog post and a commercial- saying how great HFCS is for us! Yay! (Thanks, Annie for the link.)
And one more article about this situation.
Yes, I am on a soap box. A band wagon. But honestly, I am infuriated with myself, with our generation, with our parents (not specifically YOU, Mom and Dad), for blindly trusting that our government will take care of us. Now we're in so deep it's beyond overwhelming. I would like to be able to tell my kids, when they are facing the same decisions as young parents that our generation told the food companies and government- "No Way. Not anymore."
Two Years
13 years ago



6 comments:
I am outraged! No wonder the numbers are on the rise for autism! It's bad enough we have to worry about the shots our children get, but now their food. Our government really needs to step up and do something about this!
I am in such shock that I do not know what to do. What do we do, Sarri?? Seriously. HOW can our government let this go on and continue to happen??!?!
What is left for us that is safe to eat? Seriously.
I'm a dork, but this gets me kind of giddy in an excited way that FINALLY American consumers are receiving some compelling information (health vs just vanity) and that this will motivate a HUGE change back towards more slow food, much less processed food. I truly believe that until people make this connection, Americans will not be able to return from this sickly, disease-prone state of obesity, depression, and lethargy that has taken us captive. (A LITTLE drama anyone)? ;) So as outraged by this as I am, I'm also hopeful that it will bring about a change we've been looking for. It just goes to show that the saying 'if it ("convenience/processed" food) seems to good to be true it probably is' is true once again. Plus, what's so inconvenient about grabbing an apple from the counter? It's a mental block that we've been fed by commercials. Let the reconditioning begin! Roasting some veggies and steaming some rice takes less time, money, and effort than getting the kids piled in the car and driving to the fast food line to pay for crap. It just does. Try it America! :) Okay, I'm done. (And I will probably eat some McDonald's once in a while still, but after reading Fast Food Nation, you won't catch me there much)! See you at the Farmer's Market! Where the food is food. Okay, I'm really done now. I promise. Thanks again for posting this great info Sarri!
Keeping us all posted...thanks! This makes me think of the huge garder my parents planted every year...seriously it was huge! You can't really eat "locally" anymore can you?
Wow. That list...
I saw the commercial promoting HFCS and my first thought was "oh boy, Sarri is going to go through the roof when she sees this!" It's scary how many things are attacking us these days. Seems impossible to now what to trust. I'm pretty careful about what the kids eat, but after you mentioned the bread, which I would have never thought of, I checked ours, and yup HFCS!
Post a Comment