The kids have taken turns going to Idaho with Nana Pam to visit our extended family there. This time it was G's turn. Garrett can be a pretty independent kid, but he also is a middle child and is used to having one or both siblings around at all times! He was pretty nervous about going- mostly about being away from Maddy and Carter!
The day after Madeline's dance recital they drove off, and his little lip was just quivering. I was worried that I'd made a huge mistake. I wanted him to go because I think it's important for him to see that he can be happy and awesome without his siblings. I want my kids to love each other, to be a great team, to have fun together, but I also want them to be independent, whole people apart from each other too.
So he drove away and I cried and so did Carter (a LOT), and that evening I called to check in and Garrett sobbed on the phone and begged to come home. And yes, I did think of getting in the car RIGHT THEN at nine o'clock pm and driving the 500 miles to my boy and snuggling him. I thought, "I could be there by 5 am and just crawl into bed with him and hug him." But I put my mama bear instincts to the side and gave it another day. Of course by then he was way too busy to chat with me, having fun with my Papa, my Aunts, my cousin Berkley, and my mom. They played checkers, went on golf cart rides, ate at McD's, swam, played at the park, played soccer, and even visited the Birds of Prey center. And probably most importantly he visited with my Grammy who is in the not so early stages of Alzheimer's Disease. Grammy recently moved to a home where she can be well cared for, but it's been a really huge thing for our family. I've been mulling over a post about it, but I'm not quite ready to do it- mostly because when I really think of it I can't see the keyboard or screen due to the tears. Anyway, Garrett went on a walk with Grammy, read her stories, and I think even took her a milkshake.
Meanwhile, back home, we had a busy week too. Maddy took swimming lessons (no pictures!) and loved it. I was so relieved because she was pretty nervous about it. Maddy also started a new dance class in Newberg and had a playdate EVERY SINGLE DAY. What a way to start summer vacation, huh?
Carter patiently watched Maddy swim, enjoyed lots of one on one time with Mama reading books, doing puzzles, and napping. We picked raspberries from the back yard and did a bunch of related baking.
By the time Friday rolled around though, we were SO READY to get our hands on Garrett! Maddy and Carter made signs that said, "Welcome Home Garrett!" And, "We love you, Garrett!" and we headed to the airport. When we saw him and Nana come around the corner, he was pretty low key, but Maddy and Carter were jumping up and down and yelling. So cute. Hugs were exchanged and Garrett kissed Carter on the top of his sweet head. Oh, I was so glad to have him back with me! Yes, having 2 kids is a little bit easier than three, but our family just didn't feel right all week. Something was definitely missing with him, and it wasn't just the moaning and complaining during dinnertime!



1 comment:
Thanks for letting me take him! He is a sweetheart and a wheeler-dealer too! :) Very fun!!!! What did Carter say about his heart?
Post a Comment