Pages

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Snow Village


When I was young, my Aunt Marian collected Snow Village. I loved looking at all the details and accessories. None of the 'knock off' villages quite did it for me.

In the late fall of 1999 when I was preparing to get married, my mom and I met with a lady, "B", from our church who was helping my mom plan and order the desserts for the wedding. Before we sat down with B in her kitchen, she showed us her extensive, collection of Snow Village. It was amazing- a true collector! B was probably around 60 years old and as we talked pastries and pies, our conversation wound around to her story of the beginnings of her marriage and family all those years ago. I'll leave out the details, but suffice it to say that there was much bonding and a few (or more) tears, and plenty of hugs and honesty. And a few weeks later when Joel and I opened our wedding presents, there was this gorgeous Snow Village House and family, from B. It was the perfect scene for our life at that point.

Through the years we've added a few things. For our first anniversary we bought the church, complete with bride and groom. (We were married a week before Christmas.) One year Joel and the kids found me the retired school house off of ebay. I don't think I will ever be a 'collector' of Snow Village like my Aunt or B, but I love the pieces we have because they are meaningful for different parts of our life.




4 comments:

David said...

I like the depth of focus.

lovemytannerman said...

I love these little Villages. I inherited some when my grandmother passed, but I have been too afraid a certain little person who lives here would break them. Chris set them up this year, and I'm so happy he did!

I love your collection, and you took great pics of the pieces!

Anonymous said...

Snow Village, 9 years later! What a special gift that was! So tender! You and Joel are blessed.

Paige Lomas said...

My sister is a huge fan and has a great colllection. Maybe she will takes some pic and post about her SV also. I love it!