Madeline
Madeline is amazing me right now. She is really coming into her own as a reader and a writer. She is really understanding Spanish better too. I think about how terrified she was of 3rd grade back in August- how we both cried when I left her at school on the first day, and am so proud of her now. She works so hard. She loves school, loves her friends, loves her dancing. We went to her parent teacher conference last week and it was amazing to read her writing and get a glimpse of her as a person completely independent of us. I think about the little baby in pink laying on our bed in that apartment in Newberg and wonder how it could be the same person.
Garrett
Garrett's sense of curiousity and wonder keep me amazed these days. He is always asking questions, and figuring things out. I love when he points at me while we're talking. "I'm changing into shorts, Mom!" And waves his finger toward me. "Don't forget to wake me up!" And points right at me. He makes me laugh when I tell him to lay out his clothes for school, and he lays out tomorrow outfit AND the shorts and t-shirt he'll change into when he gets home (he doesn't care that it's December) AND his pjs for tomorrow night. Makes me giggle each time I see them all laid out on the foot of his bed. Tonight I went in to remind him to put his book away, turn off his lamp, and get to sleep, and just as I walked in the room he smiled and flashed the "I love you" sign at me- before either of us said a word. He loves school and homework and reading. I love to peek in at him while he's working in his journal and see his great stories (that are one sentence- they are great to me, as Garrett's mom- not necessarily literary works of genius) and creative pictures. He has stopped writing his name like an artist and started writing it like a student . . . most of the time. Which makes me simultaneously happy and sad.
Carter
Carter makes me laugh a large part of every day. Even when he is at Allison's in the mornings while I work, he makes me laugh. (Head over to her blog for laugh out loud blog about Carter and Abby, and a priceless video of preschooler manipulation and Carter picking his nose for minutes on end.) Carter is generous with hugs and kisses for me, and I swear I could rub my face against those chubby little cheeks all day long. He loves to keep up with Maddy and Garrett, but he also loves to snuggle with Mama. Lately, I think due to me being gone a lot during the day and him not being entirely used to it, he has insisted upon me tucking him in at night. And laying down with him. "Lay with me, Mama!" And then, "Snuggle me! TIGHTER!" He isn't content until both of my arms are around him, and his back is firmly snuggled up against my chest. Then I whisper the story of the Three Bears to him until one of us (often me first) falls asleep. I know it's a bad habit to be in. And sometimes it's inconvenient. But I think I need those minutes of snuggling as much as he does. Tonight we had this conversation.
Me: . . . and Goldilocks rocked and rocked so hard that the rocking chair broke!
Carter: Why?
Me: Because Goldilocks was being wild and the chair broke.
Carter: Why?
Me: Because she was being naughty.
Carter: Me no be naughty like that break that chair. (I love his messed up grammar.)
Me: No, you aren't naughty.
Carter: Nope. (pause) SNUGGLE ME TIGHTER!
Two Years
13 years ago



2 comments:
we call snuggle...nuggle cuz cj could not do the 's' when he was a baby. we love to nuggle.
What great kids you have. I'm proud of Maddy because when she was here in August she mentioned she was nervous about this year and how hard it might be. Sounds like she is thriving.
Post a Comment