
Maybe this is why Black Friday just didn't feel the same this year.
It's interesting to see people from many walks of life, cultures, and beliefs start to say, "Hey! This isn't working! We need to figure out something different." Our 'cutting back' this year has to do with a lot of things. It has to do with our awakening to the finite way we've been living. It has to do with the innate desire to not be so bogged down with all the STUFF in our lives, and all the work it makes for us to take care of all that STUFF. And to be honest, it also has to do with the scary economy. Of course we haven't made tons of huge changes. We have, however, made small changes. We've become more aware of some of our habits and how we can live an equally fulfilling life with different, more healthy habits.
Just so you know The Gibson Five have a long way to go. This is my way of spreading information, not preaching or looking down on anyone- we are on the same journey as everyone else. I will say that I think we are making a larger quantity of healthy choices than we were a year ago. Hopefully a year from now, I can say the same thing.



1 comment:
I think realistically baby steps are the way to go. That's what we are doing. I have always recycled and continue to do so, even though it's a pain in the butt here (I collect it in my garage and go empty the box when it gets full as opposed to paying $72 a year for every-other-week-pickup). It is really hard for me to comprehend why some places are so backward when it comes to recycling. Just make it easier and more available to us all instead of debating and arguing about how many more feet you can raise the landfill limits!! Urgh.
I am not a packrat but even this is too extreme for me: http://www.guynameddave.com/100-thing-challenge.html
I found the concepts interesting. This is hard with kids. Other news reports about people evacuating due to the California wildfires and what they actually would take along has been interesting too.
Post a Comment