Pages

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

TDF Caramel Oatmeal Bars

2 cups oatmeal
2 cups flour
1 1/2 cup brown sugar
3 sticks of butter melted (I know!)
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 bag of caramels
6 tbsp milk

Mix first 6 ingredients by hand. Save a handful of the oatmeal mixture, set aside for later. Press mixture into bottom of 9 x 13 greased pan. Bake 350 for 10-15 min--will be gooey. While baking, melt caramels and 6 tbsp milk in microwave, stirring every 30 seconds. DO not over cook. When baking is done, sprinkle chocolate chips on top of baked oatmeal mixture. Pour melted caramel evenly over chocolate chips. Top with reserved dough--crumble on top. Bake an addional 10 minutes.

Cool completely. ( I refridgerate after it's cool to set the chocolate chips. Then it can stay at room temperature for the 10 minutes it will take for them all to be devoured.)

And to add- I have heard the recipe works well with 2 sticks of butter instead. I also pour 1/2 cup ground flax seed into the dough- because I pour 1/2 cup of flax seed into everything I make. (It's the new black, fyi.)

2 comments:

Judy said...

Grayson must have tried these because he raved about some "AWESOME" oatmeal bar "thingeys" a few weeks ago! But holy moly, I don't think I can bring myself to use 3 sticks of butter! I'll just eat yours! If I don't actually SEE the butter go in, then it's not really there, right?! :)

CB said...

I have a similar recipe... but with only 3/4 cup of butter and instead of melting caramels, I go the easy, processed food way with caramel ice cream topping. (I skip the nuts and put more chocolate chips,of course.)

Check it out:
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Oatmeal-Carmelitas/Detail.aspx