Now for the news of the day. Our sweet girl boarded a plane and flew BY HERSELF to Boise today to spend a few days with my family. The boys and I are driving over on Monday or Tuesday, and my aunts begged to have Maddy a few days early. It seemed like a great idea at the time- I truly have the best memories of my Idaho summer days as a kid. But I was definitely rethinking our fabulous plan as I was standing at the window of PDX- tears streaming down my face as I looked at the gimonstrous (it's a word . . . now) blue plane containing my tiny daughter.
Backing up a little though- the past 2 days she was SO excited. We got her all packed up yesterday- sun dresses, swimsuits, her favorite pjs, and of course Pearly Jo, Kit, clothes for them, and 3 Webkinz. This morning she was still excited, but got so teary and sad when it was time for Joel to leave for work. She won't see him again until next Saturday- the 19th. After a half hour or so she recovered from that, and did a little better telling Nana and her brothers goodbye. (Nana kept the boys for the day, so I didn't have to take them! Nice!) We finished getting ready and drove into Portland. Madeline was so excited and just talking a mile a minute. I asked her if she was feeling better about things. She answered that she was, and then she got really quiet.
"Mom?"
"Yes?"
"The hardest part is going to be telling you goodbye."
GULP. Thank goodness for the rules about kids in the backseat- because I DIDN'T want her to see me blink back the tears. "I know, Sis. But you know what? I am so proud of you. I want you to be the kind of person that tries new things and takes risks. Then you won't miss out on things in your life! Sometimes things can be a little hard or scary at first, but you are so glad you did them, you know? I am so excited for you to have some days where you don't have to be 'the big sister' and you can just get spoiled and have fun." There was more, but I can't remember now.
The mood lightened again after that. She's such a fun girl. We got to the airport with time to spare, got her all checked in, ate lunch, bought her a new book, and headed down to C15. Deep breaths. There was just a few minutes before it was time for her to go. When it was time we just hugged and hugged and hugged and we both sobbed our eyes out. Couldn't help it. But serious, it's only 4 days!!! In reality though, 4 days is the longest she has ever been away from me. And only 1 time! I better toughen up some if Joel and I are really going to escape for our 10 year anniversary in a year and a half! Anyway, I sent her on her way. She didn't want to change her mind, and I (mostly) didn't want her to- it was one of those bittersweet things. I do realize I am being overly dramatic about an hour flight and 4 days, but some of you out there will know what I mean. It is a big deal for us. She's only 8!
So, since she was an 'unaccompanied minor', I was required to stay at the gate until her flight was actually in the air. So I sat there and sobbed my eyes out (really, I was a sight) looking at the ginormous plane and thinking of my baby inside. How she was probably sitting in her little seat, sobbing her eyes out along with me. Please Lord, give her peace, let her be okay. I called Joel and cried. I called Mom and cried. My Aunt Marian called me to tell me she was nearly to the airport in Boise and I could barely talk because I was gulping. My dad called to see how it went and I gulped and sobbed the ugly cry some more. Fun times. (Don't be alarmed though, I am a big crier in general. This was a bit of a scene, even for me, but not as unusual as you'd think.) Then I thought of all the moms and dads who have to put their babies on planes for hoildays and summers and weeks and months because of tough family situations, and I cried some more. Thank you Lord, that me and my kids don't have to know that. Finally the luggage was all loaded (I have a pic below of her little pink and purple suitcase going up the belt into the plane. sob), and the plane backed out. I waved and gave the I LOVE YOU sign (we flash that when we are too far away to talk), just in case she could see me.
Another 10 minutes or more and finally I was allowed to leave the area because my baby (and the other 100 passengers) were in the air, headed east. By then I was done crying, in my head knowing full well that she was going to have a fantastic time.
I started the drive home, of course making my usual whenever-we're-in-Portland-stop at Trader Joe's. As I pulled in to park, my phone rang.
"Hi MOM!!!" (Happy, happy girl.)
"Hi Sissy! How was it? So fun?"
I could hear the smile in her voice. "Yeah, it was good."
"Oh, I'm so glad! I'm so proud of you! I love you! Did you see me waving?"
"No, I couldn't see the building."
"Okay, we'll were you sad? How long did you cry?" I swear I wasn't hoping for her to be heartbroken all the way to Boise.
"Um, maybe halfway down the hallway?" Seriously? Not even until you got in your seat?
"Oh good!" Halfway down the hallway!?!?!?
Sigh. So she's happy and thrilled and ready to be a princess for the next few days. I am so excited for her and I can't wait to get my hands on her. The truth is that my boys aren't even going to know what to do without her here.
So excited for her!



12 comments:
Wow! I'm proud of you too, Sarri! I'm not sure I could do that with my 8-year-old. She will have a great time and it will be all the sweeter when you meet up in a few short days. What a great experience for her!
Enjoy all the boy stuff! :)
Sarri--when I grow up, I want to be a mom like you. Not even kidding.
Love you
I seriously teared up reading this...picturing it being my own daughter when she is 8. Sarri, how unselfish you are in allowing her to experience something so special! I am loving your blog posts and just wanted you to know that you have this way with words that is so intriguing. Best of luck with these next few days without your girl...it will go by so fast!
I'm totally crying, too. Such a big girl adventure!
I think it's wonderful that she gets to experience the grown-up-ness of it all. The kind of experience that will give her confidence in herself.
Kudos!!
(I hope Tuesday comes quickly...for you!)
Well now I'M verging on the ugly cry - tears streaming down my face and I'm trying to laugh at myself for completely breaking down even though I KNOW you are all fine now. Oh my goodness what a landmark. Good for Maddy!! I'm SO proud of her too. And you. Love you!
That was so big! I am glad you captured everything in this post, to remember years from now all your emotions.
Aren't mother/daughter relationships so special?!!!
I hope she has a wonderful trip.
You are a wonderful mother, Sarri, just wonderful.
Well when I saw the first picture I thought that maybe Pearly Jo wasn't making the trip! Phew! I was glad to read that she was safely tucked inside the suitcase!!!
Wow...first Diana and now Maddy, those girls will forever thank their moms for giving them such wings to fly!!! You should be so proud! Were there tears on your keyboard as you were typing? (That was what I was imagining...) Have a blast with the boys!
Oh my gosh, you had me sobbing my eyes out reading this!!
And now I'm thinking, what was I doing sending my daughter to camp all alone when she's only SIX?!!!
S- a. nice job mom for toughing it out so M can learn about adventure! b. I can't believe you have been married for almost 10 years, what a great thing.
We so enjoyed her! She is like you, but still her own little person. Thank you for generously sharing your children with us. All 5 of you enrich my life more than words can say. I love every minute I get with you, and its never enough!!
Post a Comment