We had a nice trip to visit my family. Thankfully Carter stopped throwing up and we left Tuesday morning as planned. The boys were FABULOUS in the car. I was so proud of them! We were thrilled to get to 'Aunt Minnie's' and see Sissy- and she was thrilled to see us too!! She had a great time and was so glad she went.
I go to Idaho at least once a summer, and I try to get there another time during the year as well. My aunts are more like sisters to me these days, and I am savoring each minute my kids get to interact with my grandparents. Carter is completely enamored with my Grandma, who he just calls, "Jackie!" (ALWAYS with the exclamation point.) He often will ignore everyone, but when 'Jackie' arrives, the party starts for Carter. He comes to life- animated, funny, and full of hugs and kisses for her. She couldn't be more thrilled about this arrangement, I must say. Second to Jackie, Carter is completely in love with my Papa Burke as well. He doesn't have to be prompted to dole out hugs to these two- ever. He is just wild about them.
My grandparents live in a neighborhood that is for people 55 and older, and there is a community clubhouse where the guys get together for coffee each morning. My grandpa's lungs give him some trouble, so last year he bought this golf cart to get to coffee, get the mail, and cruise the neighborhood. Needless to say, the golf 'card' (says Garrett) is a big hit with the kids, and taking a ride on it is the newest tradition.
Salmon is the newest member of my Aunt Marian's family. Carter was a big fan of this cat. His last words before falling asleep were, "Where dat salmeen? Where dat kitty?" And he'd spend his time at Marians shaking the treat bag and giving out treats.
I also got a great surprise when Joel, who was on his way to work Friday morning, agreed to fly over and meet up with us! He turned around, came home, and bought a ticket! He flew in at 3 that afternoon- just in time to join us at Roaring Springs Water Park! The kids were glad to see him, the family was glad to see him, and I was THRILLED to see him. It was so nice to have him for company on the drive home as well.
One morning I took Grammy and the kids out to Uncle Chad's farm. Grammy is in the earlyish stages of Alzheimer's. She still knows all of us even though she isn't always able to get to our names right away, and sometimes gets confused. But she knows I'm her granddaughter, and that these are my kids, and that I'm married to a 'very good man.' (Amen!) I enjoy the times when I get her to myself- she seems relaxed and eager to share stories with me from her youth. On this day she gave me directions from her house out to Chad's farm. I didn't know the way from memory, so I'd previously looked it up on the computer, but as it turns out I didn't need the directions. She got me out there. And then she took me to Auntie Beck's, and then out to her childhood home several more miles out of town! I wasn't sure what to think when she told me to go right instead of left, and I had my doubts that we'd end up where she wanted us to. But she directed me right past where her grade school had stood, and past the neighbor's where she'd waited one day because the snow was too high for the 1.5 mile walk to school. And then right past the home she'd grown up with her 7 siblings. I was amazed. From a scientific view it's really amazing the way the human brain functions- the things from memory that Grammy has access to and things she doesn't. And how some days are different than others. From a emotional view point, it can be really hard.
On the way back to Aunt Marian's, we stopped at this gorgeous cornflower field. It was so pretty! It was even more incredible with the early morning light when Marian and I had walked past it at 6:45 that morning, but I am just not dedicated enough to bring the kids out at that hour!!!
Last evening we were sitting around talking and Carter ran up to Papa, climbed on his lap and just snuggled and loved on him. No one prompted him to do it or anything. Papa snuggled him right back and I just prayed that I would always remember that moment as my grandfather's 80-some year old hands rubbed my baby's back and their cheeks touched as they hugged. My grandpa is one of my most favorite people in the world. He is the kind of person that when I'm with him, I feel so loved- like I'm his favorite person in the world. And I know he's a big fan of me, but I also know that he would never have favorites of his loved ones- he is fair and kind and slow to anger. I am sure that this season of his life isn't always easy- he has a lot of troubles with his lungs and breathing and has been in the hospital I think 6 times since the beginning of the year. But he still deals with Grammy and her memory problems with so much grace. They are in a whole different season of their marriage than they've ever been before, but they are still committed to each other and 'for better and for worse . . . in sickness and in health.' I am really proud of them both. We don't know why this is their journey. It seems so unfair and even cruel. But, we all just deal with it (better some times than others), and we are thankful for the time we can enjoy together.
I also got a great surprise when Joel, who was on his way to work Friday morning, agreed to fly over and meet up with us! He turned around, came home, and bought a ticket! He flew in at 3 that afternoon- just in time to join us at Roaring Springs Water Park! The kids were glad to see him, the family was glad to see him, and I was THRILLED to see him. It was so nice to have him for company on the drive home as well.
So. Good times. Good family. Lots to be thankful for. And I am.
P.S. If you made it through this entire post . . . here is your reward:



5 comments:
Really Sarri, when are you going to publish a book? A children's book about grandkids and grandparents, a memoir...(these are just some ideas I have) but you are such a terrific writer and your kids will love (LOVE) that they are blogged and pictured. Can you print this stuff out and just start putting it into a scrapbook? Anyway, what a special treat for your kids to see, know, love and share with your family and most importantly another generation. You all are blessed. I love how Maddy's hair is so long and in low piggies, it is really cute!
You are richly blessed indeed, Sarri Gibson. :)
It sounds like you had a wonderful time with your loving family. Good for you. Welcome back!
I am glad the kids were healthy enough to make the trip. It sounds like you had a great time. By the end of your blog I was in tears. I remember all the times I would sit with my grandpa and the stories he would tell about his life as a child. It also made me realize, life on this great earth is way too short and to cherish every moment we have with our loved ones. Thanks for the "waking" me up. I think I will call my grandma and see how she is!
So cool that you have documented all these wonderful memories. GLad you're bakc and that you hada great time. Love you!
Okay, I'm totally choked up!! Mom & Dad ca me out today. I thought it would be good for Mom to come out & get some steam with the eucalyptus. (sp?) She made Dad sit outside the door. She would have preferred he be in there with her, but I told her it wasn't good for him. She kept complaining about the heat. I told her it was supposed to be hot. I gave her a bottle of water, and she used it for a fan. It was destroyed. When I had her get in the hottub, she said, "Burke, get your pants off & get in here!" The look on Dad's face was priceless! You gotta giggle!
Post a Comment