Pages

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Apples



So, we've established that Garrett is my little gardener. He is such a funny kid, I am getting a big kick out of him this week.

So we had a big bag of apples we'd harvested a few days ago at Grandma's. We made apple muffins, and then we decided to dry some. We borrowed the apple peeler/corer/slicer from my mom and one day while Carter was sleeping and Madeline was at camp, Garrett and I got to work. He was thrilled with the whole thing, and of course took it very seriously. He worked so hard at cutting one line through the apples (since the peeler/corer/slicer leaves it in a continuous spiral), laying them on the drying screens, and also taking a turn now and then with the turning of the apples.

I won't say the dried apples turned out fabulously, but I will say that we will try it again! The kids are going up to Kelso again this weekend, and I am hoping they'll bring some more home for us!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that he's so into all that stuff: the planting, harvesting and preserving. That's awesome! I tried drying apples this summer too and wasn't all that thrilled with them. They don't look too pretty, but tasted good when I diced and added them to muffins.

Judy said...

We put our apple/peeler/corer slicer to work this week, too! But our treat was not nearly as healthy--apple crisp! Yum!

Michelle said...

I love how intent he is on making the perfect apples! Quite the little gardener. That will make for some fun memories.