Pages

Monday, June 16, 2008

That's What I Get for Trying to Exercise

This morning I woke up around 6ish and thought, "What a nice morning for a run." (FYI, I use the term 'run' very loosely.) I stayed in my cozy bed for a few more minutes and before I could pry myself out, Carter ran into our bedroom. I thought, "Oh, fun! I'll put him in the jogging stroller." So I snuggle him for a few minutes, and then start getting us ready. While I was getting dressed, Maddy comes out of her room. I tell her what Carter and I are doing, and she asks to join us. Sure! Sometimes she joins me on my 'runs' and it's always fun.

As I am getting a blanket out of Carter's room, Garrett starts yelling for me. I go in to his room to find that he has a wet bed. This happens only very rarely, and of course usually on inconvenient mornings. So I throw him in the shower. While he is washing off, I am carrying Carter to get some socks, and I feel a warm wet spot on my side. Sure enough, Carter's diaper had leaked and he peed on me. Right on the running shirt I had JUST PUT ON.

I was starting to get a little discouraged, but at this point I was NOT GIVING UP. I changed my shirt and washed myself off, got Garrett out of the shower and did the obligatory drying off with the hair dryer since that's the only way to dry off, according to Garrett. He of course wanted to join us as well- on his bike. I go to the garage to get the jogging stroller. It is on the shelf, under 35,000 carseats, and when it is unearthed, I realize that the tires are super flat. I find the pump and fill them up. I go to the back yard and get Garrett's bike and helmet. His bike is fine, but apparently his head has grown in the past 2 days so I have to adjust his helmet. Done. His shoes have to be retrieved from under the seats in the van. Okay. If you think I am going on and on, you have no idea. I am leaving out 57 more details of things that happened to slow this process down. It was like the universe was completely working against me. (Why would the universe want me to keep this tire around my middle, I have no idea.)

FINALLY. Literally an hour after I'd decided it would be a great morning for a run, we were out the door. It took us a bit to get our system of run/walking down, but eventually we did it.

Tomorrow? Totally setting my alarm for waaaay earlier than my kids wake up. For sure.

5 comments:

Becky said...

You are so much better than me! I don't even have kids and I would use any excuse to not go!! Then, just the physical prowess to get the stroller out, and the tires blown up, and. . .and. . .!!! You never cease to amaze me!! I'm a big fan!!

Judy said...

Just think of all the additional calories you burned just getting all of you ready! Oh and is there really ever such thing as a "good" morning for a run?! Ha! Ha! Just kidding. I do it...but I usually hate every second of it! :)

Michelle said...

You deserve an award just for the idea of running in the morning...and with 3 kids! :) Curves 3 times a week is more my speed. You look great, so not really sure about that "tire" you refer to.

Melanie Penelope said...

Wow, dude. I would so have given up (and do) after the first kid woke up. Hee!!

Stefanie said...

That is so my life in a nutshell!