Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Amish Friendship Bread

Have you ever done a starter of this stuff? It's a lot of pressure! It actually says in the instructions, "Only the Amish know how to create this starter..." Is that really true? I don't believe it. Especially because when I googled "Amish Friendship Bread" I got about 30 million recipes for AFB starter. Anyway, if you don't know about it, you get a starter from a friend who may or may not be Amish. (Mine came from Joel's mom, who is not, in fact, Amish.) You squish it around and 'burp the bag' (no, seriously) for 10 days, and then you add some stuff (but don't let it touch metal...aaaagh!), and viola- bread!

Today was day 10 for my start. So after we got home from Garrett's preschool graduation (which is what I should be blogging about, but my camera is waaaaay over there...), and after I cleaned up the kitchen from the whirlwind that occurred there before the potluck graduation party, I realized, "It's DAY 10!" And set to adding all the stuff to the AFB. But I was talking on the phone during all the mixing, so there is a chance I messed up my bread. (But no worries, the starts that I made to pass on should be fine). And now it is 11 pm- super late for this mama- and the AFB is cooking away. It was smelling really good, but now is starting to smell burnt. I'm so torn! It said to cook ONE HOUR and SEVEN MINUTES. Do I dare mess with that??

Anyway, I really don't think it's from the Amish, and I am really tempted to stir the next batch with a metal spoon...just to see. I know, I'm so edgy.

Um, so anyone want a AFB starter?? No, seriously.

5 comments:

Hannah said...

All this time I was living under the impression that Joel was from an Amish family. My world has been shattered...

Allison said...

Watch out world--Sarri is breaking the rules again. You are hysterical. I actually put Amish friendship bread in the same category as those chain e-mails where your wish will only be granted if you forward it to ten people, and yet, I'll take a start. It's been a while since I left a start to mold on the counter, having forgotten which day I am on and whether or not it has been burped that day. . . .

Brambleberry said...

AFB is the bane of my existance. And to find 6 people to pass the stuff off to?!! TOO much pressure!! At least it tastes good!

(I once threw away a starter. And it was SO liberating. You go at it with that metal spoon. In a metal bowl!)

Judy said...

OMG, I haven't done Amish friendship bread in years! It's always yummy though! Hmmm, and never knew about the metal spoon part...

Paige Lomas said...

no and no...I hate that stuff. I like my bread bought from the non-Amish store that just opened, Great Harvest. Heard of it? Yah, they are still in business because they are not pawning their starters off to their customers. You might lose friends this way, less people that will visit your blog...you might want to end it all now with a metal spoon!