
Thursday through Sunday at our house was all wrapped up in Maddy's dance recital- one way or another.
Thursday brought the dance rehearsal. From 5-9. Yes, we spent 4 hours at the theater for my 8 year olds rehearsal. We had to stay nearly until the end for the Student of the Month presentation since Madeline was awarded SotM for February. We found out that after that was dance team auditions. One of Maddy's friends was auditioning, and Maddy decided she wanted to as well. I figured that we'd chalk it up to a learning experience and I'd let her do it. Plus we'd been there SO long already, what was another 30 minutes, right? And then if she wanted to really try out in a couple of years, she'd know what to expect.
I was so proud of her at auditions. She was working so hard, really trying her best. And most of the other girls were teenagers with years of dance experience. It had to be intimidating! Who knew Madeline was such a risk taker?
Anyway, imagine my surprise when I found out the next day that Maddy made the youngest dance team! Oh my word! We are really, really proud of her, but aren't sure if it will be a great fit for her or our family for this coming year. Anyway, here are a few pics from rehearsal...
We found some black sequin trim at JoAnn's and we wrapped it around her splint. It was perfect and fabulous! I told her, "This is WAY better than a cast!" She excitedly agreed with me!Also on Thursday, our Idaho family starting arriving to watch the big show. My Aunt Becky and my Grandparents came Thursday, although Mad and I didn't get to see them much that day! Thankfully, we got to hang out with them a little on Friday and Saturday morning. Also on Friday, my Aunt Marian and Berkley arrived from Idaho. My kids just love them all!

Bissy Fixing M's hair. THANK YOU BISSY!

Carter is wild about Papa Burke!
And then, Saturday. Saturday was the big day. And by 'big' I mean, wonderful, amazing, proud, crazy, and exhausting! There were 2 shows for the recital and Madeline and I were at the theater from 1 until 10. Yes, 10:00 at night. We were wiped! Anyway, Madeline and her friends did such a beautiful job dancing. We could tell they'd been working so hard. Madeline had been practicing at home a LOT since she had missed several classes when we were in Europe and away for Jolena's wedding. Hard practice paid off though and she was just flawless. She had such lovely stage presence and grace. I was just so proud of her.
And then- our family. For the first show Madeline had 8 people cheering for her at each show. Joel's family came from Washington to watch, and my family came from Idaho. (Marian and Berkley made it over too, and Berk sat through BOTH performances with Nana Pam!)
Everytime she came off the stage she gushed, "Mom. That was SO fun. Oh I just LOVED that."
And some pictures of recital day.

Almost time!

G tried so hard to make it through the whole thing, but he was wiped! He did watch his sister dance though. He later told me, "I knew she was the same girl because I could see her broken arm." Phew!

Flowers from Daddy. (And Mama, G, and Carter too!)

"Big" Grandma at her 3rd recital!

Three BFFs. I call them "Real Life American Girls" They are all so different, but such good friends.


Sissy and Grammy Jackie.

Sissy at the Student of the Month presentation. She didn't win one of the Student of the Year awards, but she was so gracious and really excited for the older girls who won the honor- and a full year of free dance classes!
If you made it through this whole thing, you deserve an award. I have the perfect thing. Amish Friendship Bread starter!



5 comments:
I love the pics! I'll pass on the reward ;)
Way to go Maddy!
My favorite picture (and there were lots of great ones to choose from) is the one of Maddy and Joel. You can tell he is so proud of her - and rightly so!
Awesome job, Maddy!!! Congratulations on your recital and making the dance team. That's great!
Guess we were doing similar "girlie things" this weekend. I love being the mom of a dancer or heck any activity with your child. It's still new and so exciting to me.
Maddy looked so cute in her outfit!
I'll have to show Daphne the pictures - she'll love it!
great job...I got the condensed, 8 year old version at school...basically it all went really well and they had to all be in a tiny room "about half the size of this one" (quoted Diana) and there was a mean lady. (hope "mean lady" does not read your blog) I am a little happy I was not there, I would not want to hurt your feelings by turning down the AFB. :)
Post a Comment