Pages

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Birthday Sweet Madeline Jane.



Today was Madeline's 8th birthday. Where has the time gone? I am trying my hardest to enjoy the moment, but I can't help but think that another 8 years, we'll be walking her into the DMV. I was thrilled to share my Mother's Day with her birthday, and she was not so much. (Which I do understand.)

The morning started with an excited Garrett waking us up, begging to be able to go in and tell his Sissy 'Happy Birthday.' We held him off for a while, but eventually he tiptoed in and whispered, "Happy Birthday, Maddy." (In stark contrast to last week, on his birthday, when she went into his room, yelling and bouncing on his bed!) She was happy to have us in there. The love that my kids have for each other constantly amazes me. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of sibling moments at our house. But the boys were so sincerely excited for Maddy today. For example . . . Joel took them to the store to pick out a present for her. Of course the end result was a Webkinz. Garrett was beyond excited to give it to her. "She's gonna scream, Mom!" So he wrapped the present like so:
-Webkinz in shoe box
-shoe box wrapped in tissue paper
-tissue papered shoe box wrapped in cute birthday wrapping paper
-'sealed' shoe box put in cute party bag, surrounded by more tissue paper

He really wanted it to be perfect. And it was.







At 5 pm, after several hours of Mother's Day celebrating and visiting with fun family, Madeline announced that her desired birthday dinner was at Olive Garden. Olive Garden, which is about 45 minutes from here. "But Maddy," I said, "We had a nice brunch today, at Brew Pub!" She looked at me honestly, not snotty, and said, "That was for you and the other moms. Not me." Okay, good point. So we loaded up in 2 minutes flat and were on our way. As it turns out, that was not a great choice. Besides the usual Sunday evening "going home from the beach" traffic, there was apparently a horrible wreck that had the highway closed. Of course by the time we realized this, we were waaaaay to far to turn around, and really how bad could the detour be, right? It was pretty bad. I think we left our house close to 5 and got to Olive Garden at 6:30. Of course when we got there, we realized that many people go to Olive Garden at 6:30 on Mother's Day. Our wait was supposed to be 45 minutes, but turned in to more than an hour, and then we were seated at some random tables pushed together in a cruddy way (kind of like a 'T'), so visiting was not optimal. We Madeline finally got her coveted ravioli (did we not get enough of that during 3 weeks in Italy????), she said it was definitely worth the wait. Which of course made it definitely worth the hassle. We finally got home at 9:45, and still had to open presents. Luckily, most of them had been opened earlier in the week. Her usual bedtime is 8, so I am sure we'll have a tired gal in the morning. But she was so happy tonight, and I love that her birthday was great for her- she deserves it!









Dear Madeline,
8 years ago right now, I was a very happy, very tired new mama. You were so new, and so sweet, and you were welcomed into the world with so much love. I'll never forget the gasps and cheers as your Daddy opened the waiting room door to announce your arrival to our friends and family. I love thinking about how our loved ones came in to see you and passed you around the room, and I was overwhelmed with how much love there was for you as you entered the world.

I can't believe that was already 8 years ago. We love you so much and love being your parents. You are a kind person. You are strong, and smart, and funny. You are the most amazing big sister to Garrett and Carter. You are quick to forgive, and quick to understand. You are confident in who you are, and happy with who your friends are. Sometimes your empathy and insight seems so beyond your age.

We are all so blessed by you. Happy birthday sweet girl.


I plan to dig out a few baby pictures tomorrow . . .

6 comments:

Melanie Penelope said...

Wow. It sure IS birthday season there, huh?!

Glad you all had a wonderful Mother's Day/maddy's birthday! 8 years, wow.

Paige Lomas said...

first of all, HB Maddy! I am missing your party at school, CJ is home today not feeling well. The other thing is, Sarri your friends' blogs are soooo addicting. I don't know them, but kind of want to and their blogs they write are fab! I am soooo not going to start a blog now...too much competition.
paige

Annie Schilperoort Photography said...

Oh bummer! I just left a SUPER long comment and then when I published it there was an error!:( Lost it all...anyway, to paraphrase: Happy Birthday to Maddy, Happy Mother's Day, you and Joel deserve a quiet date and you're the BEST! :)

Becky said...

Did you have to say in 8 years you would be walking into DMV with Maddy?!! I'm still in shock over that! I loved taking care of you, Maddy, in your little apartment in Newberg. You had on your little jean overalls, and I put you on my legs and rocked you. You loved it! I have so many good memories of times we have shared over the last 8 years. I love you so much! I think you are amazing!

Sarah said...

Its good to have you back in the US. I got so used to not checking your blog while you were gone that I have been forgetting to read it lately. We had so much fun with your mom! The kids are still talking about it. I remember Maddy very vividly at our wedding a little tiny newborn swathed in pink. Her little tiny legs hanging out of the bottom of a fluffy dress.

Stefanie said...

Sarri,

Now I'm doubting my spelling on your name...??

Found you thru Molly and Ty's blog. I am so excited you blog, because I do too and I don't know many in Mac that do this. Must be a stay at home mom's thing??

At least it is my lifeline to adults:)

Tell Maddy, that my b-day is May 11 too! Even I didn't like sharing my b-day with Mother's DAy - I like to spread the glory out a bit:)! Ha!

I was born on Mom's Day also - it is kinda special!!

Well, I'll make sure to check your blog often!!