You may remember in my Happy New Year post, my post about all that we have to look forward to in 2010, that I posted about my goal to run 500 miles during the course of the year. You also may recall that in that same 'breath', I referenced my post about doing a triathlon from early 2009, and I said something about how a tri just couldn't be on my radar right now- no time to swim, too much pressure, and most of all, it just was not a good time to drown in Hagg Lake. Right. Famous last words, and all of that.
So last week, I received an email from Ms A, (a friend who is also Carter's preschool teacher and was Garrett's preschool teacher). Her email was letting me and several other people know that a triathlon was coming to MCMINNVILLE. Our town! Right here! Most races are so far from here, that the early morning and drive alone is enough excuse for me not to participate. And then, the fact that it would take place in an actual SWIMMING POOL INDOORS- I could no longer use the cop out, er, excuse, about dying in front of my children at Hagg Lake. And to top it off, I have been running. Running a lot, for me. I'm not quite to the 42 mile per month goal I set for myself, but my runs are getting longer, faster, and easier, so even though I'm technically 'behind' now (at 66 miles since Jan 1, when I should be at 84 by the end of the month), I am very encouraged at how it has been going, and I'm much stronger than I was a year ago when I considered doing the Hagg Lake Tri. I am not planning on being awesome at it. My goal is to finish. Period (at) the end.
I hadn't signed up for it yet because when I started it asked for my 500 yard swim time. And I was like, "Seriously? Do people HAVE 500 yard swim times? People do that?" (I'm kidding. I've heard stories that some people swim for exercise, I know it's not a fable or whatever.) So this past week I've just been working out a lot. Running, doing some strength things, and yesterday I had a rare couple hours free while Carter was at preschool. It wasn't raining, so I decided to bike ride to a fitness trail I'd heard about, and then run on the trail. Maddy has a perfect little backpack that isn't kid-looking, so I loaded it up with my phone, earbuds, arm band, water bottle, keys, and rode across town to this trail. McMinnville isn't that big, but I live on the VERY edge of it, and this trail is literally on the VERY opposite edge of town, so it was a decent ride (for me). It was a little over 4 miles to the trail. I locked up the bike, set up my music/armband/earbuds, and started jogging. Jogging after bike riding felt pretty silly, but I took it slow and it was okay. About half a lap into it though, I realized I was really hot. My back was hot because I was jogging with the pack on (no other choice), and then, I also realized that my head was hot.
Do you know why my head was hot? Do you?!?!?
BECAUSE I STILL HAD THE BIKE HELMET ON. Even worse, I had put in my earbuds, AND STILL LEFT THE BIKE HELMET ON. I ran like 3/4 of a mile with a bike helmet on. That is just classy.
So classy. I mean really, SO classy. And THAT, my friends, would be a perfect illustration of 'how I roll,' except that I have an even BETTER illustration of how completely put together I ALWAYS am. I think I'm all tough and fit and cool biking to my run in my cool new black exercise capris and my Brooks running shoes. And then I run nearly a mile WITH MY BIKE HELMET ON.
To be continued . . .
Two Years
13 years ago



6 comments:
That's good stuff Sarri! At least you didn't bike to the gym and get on the treadmill that way. :)
Thank you Sarri. I needed that laugh-out-loud moment in my day. =)
This is hilarious. You are AWESOME, woman! I love people who can laugh at themselves :). At least you had a backpack in which to stash the helmet, right?
I LOVE that you did that! It's awesome!
hahahahahahahahah....that is how I feel everytime I go jog/run. Classy!
just wish there was a photo to go along with this blog entry...'cuz you ust have been QUITE the sight!
Post a Comment