Pages

Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Reading and Writing

Garrett and Grayson playing hangman.

Grayson:  R?

Garrett:  R is a very nice letter, but it's not in our word!

***************
As a former 1st grade teacher, I know that it's the time for all things reading and writing.  I know that generally most kids really grasp literacy during this time, and that it's 'normal.'   But I'll tell you something.  When it's MY kid and his best friends exploding in their grasp of reading and writing, IT IS SO AWESOME!!  Every time I go to work in G's class and get to read with his friends, my heart is full.  Every night when Garrett reads his homework to me, I about burst with pride.  And nearly every day when he (all on his own) grabs paper and a pencil and begins to write, write, and write some more, I am positive it's nearly miraculous and he's the first person on earth to become literate.  So incredible to witness all the pieces coming together for him.

What kinds of things is he writing?  (I know you were wondering!)  Well, besides the occasional game of hang man, he writes comic books (cutest thing ever), letters to everyone from Santa, to Papa Vroom Vroom in Thailand, to his friend 'Jose'.  This letter may is one of my current favorites though.  Jose isn't at our school this year, his family moved and he now attends a school across town.  Garrett misses him a lot though and when he was at Nana Pam's last week he wrote him a letter, declaring him 'the best kid in the school' and told him that he was now 'sex years old'.  Then he signed it, "Love Garrett and James"  (James wasn't even there, but Garrett was sure he shared the sentiment.)
Photobucket
"Dear Jose, You are the best kid in my whole school.  What school do you go to?  I go to C.  How old are you?  I'm six years old.  Love Garrett and James.

My other favorite kind of writing (so many genres of writing!  Genius, I tell you!) is spy charts.  He and Grayson have been trading spy notes and maps.  They are pretty dang cute too.  They have it all figured out how they can spy and hide from the younger siblings.
Photobucket

What fun!

2 comments:

Mpm said...

Makes me sooo happy and proud!Thanks for recording this great milestone in G's life! :)

CB said...

I love how Isaac will read EVERYTHING! The signs we pass on the road, all the captions on the tv, the back of cereal boxes... He wrote a book about our new house. Writing at this age is so dang cute! Especially when they write each other letters :-)