In the category of 'funniest thing ever'- Carter got very into the whole season this year and wrapped up, by himself, many household items to give to people. Like last week he insisted I open 'my' present, which turned out to be a wooden toy train from the playroom. This has made Garrett FURIOUS. He'll say things like, "THAT IS NOT A PRESENT!" or he will roll his eyes. Carter just kind of grins through it all, and keeps going. I think he kind of likes making Garrett crazy.
Well the day before we left for Idaho, I realized that Carter was very quiet (never a good sign) and that I heard the ripping of paper. I ran into the family room to see what he was doing, and he was working diligently to wrap this stapler for . . . Garrett. Keep in mind, this is not a new stapler. This is our family stapler- that Garrett, and all of us, use ALL the time.
He had used about a pound of tape, and torn wrapping paper into little bits to cover it all. The 'damage' was done, and I still had a ton of baking, wrapping, and laundry to do before I left, so I let him have at it! (After a few photos, naturally.)
So come Christmas morning, this 'present' was put into Garrett's pile. He ignored it and ignored it, and at the very end, when this pitiful package was the last thing unopened, he flat out refused to do it. I had him come close to me for one of my famous 'Come to Jesus' talks which included words like 'grateful' and phrases like, "How would you feel?" and "Let him be three!" After which, Garrett sat down and with as much tact as he could muster (more than you'd expect for G, but not quite an appropriate amount), he opened the present.
Carter was thrilled. I personally think that smile was more of an "I won!" face than an "I just gave my brother the perfect gift!" face, but either way, it was pretty hilarious.
Two Years
13 years ago







7 comments:
This story cracks me up! I had a great aunt that did the same thing. One Christmas she decided that she needed to send us all gifts, so she went around her house and found miscellneous trinkets, wrapped them up and labled them with our names. So funny!
Ha ha! I love the grin! Do you think Carter believes that Garrett just got owned?
Ellery wrapped Rick's big exercise ball that he sits on at his desk! She put a huge piece of paper on top of it and taped it down. He couldn't sit on it until Christmas.
Very funny...until it happenes to you as an adult and to your kids...from an adult!
The last picture says it all! SOOOO FUNNY and something we will be laughing about for a long time!
This is the funniest thing I have ever heard! Carter is brilliant! :) I love the pictures to. The way you captured Christmas memories in all these recent posts (I especially LOVED the sepia photo of you grandparents together) is amazing. Love you guys!
p/s Ooops! I meant to write "too" and "your" (insert into the correct places). I wanted to quickly correct these since you're a teacher and I didn't want to make you squirm. :)
I love that last picture of Carter! Adorable!!
(Remind me to tell you about my family's tradition of "no knife" gifts...I might have to share that with Carter in a few years to REALLY get his brother! HA!)
Post a Comment