Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

'Fall Back' is Not Cool

Why does everyone think "Fall Back" is so great?  All these happy people are posting on Facebook about their awesome 'extra hour' of sleep.  I hate Fall Back!  I hate Spring Forward!  My kids don't even know about the extra hour of sleep, but somehow they all revolt and sleep even less than normal!  Saturday, the Fall Back night, was Halloween and my kids were up extra late after having extra fun and eating extra extra extra amounts of candy.  Still, at 5:00 in the morning (the new time), I hear my bedroom door swing open, and my gangly 6 year old is standing at my bedside.  I open my eyes, and he shrugs and says, "What am I supposed to do now?"  What are you supposed to do now?  Seriously?  How about you go BACK TO SLEEP because it's practically the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.  So he climbed in with me (that was my first mistake), and I was stuck between HOT Garrett and HOT Joel.  I thought I was going to die of heat exhaustion, right there in my bed.

I kept trying to wiggle my leg over Garrett's legs- so my foot could at least be out of the covers and feel some cool morning air.  Every time I tried though, Garrett would thrash the covers around and again, I'd be roasting.  Finally, when I was sure he was asleep and I was 30 seconds to a complete over heated freak out, (I get super claustrophobicish when I get hot, do you?), I clumsily climbed over Garrett to get out.  I thought, maybe I can spend my stupid 'extra hour' enjoying the quiet of my house, reading or blogging, maybe I could even sneak out for a latte!  It's not the same as an extra hour of sleep, but still sounds decent for a busy mom, right?  I grabbed some sweats out of my closet and just as I was about to put my hand on the doorknob of my bedroom door, I heard the familiar sound of a 3 year old someone rattling the doorknob from the other side.  Sure enough, at 5:30, (the new time), Carter was up and ready to roll.  Awesome.

I told him it wasn't time to get up yet, and he said in his sweet-I-can-get-whatever-I-want voice, "But I just want to snuggle you, Mama."  Except he says, "snuddle" and I'm pretty sure anyone who would say 'no' to 'snuddling' would be instantly struck by lightening.  (Or maybe not, huh, JOEL?!? haha)  So, into Carter's bed we went, trying to crawl quietly over the 'gimantic' air matress blown up in there for The Bigs since we had a house full of company, where my perfect child, Madeline was sleeping her extra hour like normal perfect people do.  We 'snuddled' for a while, and I thankfully fell into a very light sleep where I was aware of Carter tapping on the wall, tapping on the bed, and slurping his water, and then later someone flushing the toilet and taking a shower in the bathroom that Carter's room shares a wall with.

Of course, the past several mornings, my eyes have popped open at 5 am, despite going to bed at 10 or 11.  Which kind of makes me want a word or two (or worse) with all the 'Extra Hour Of Sleep!' happy people.

7 comments:

Annie Schilperoort Photography said...

Haha! I'm laughing - I confess to being one of your 'happy friends' looking forward to the extra hour of sleep. I had to get up extra early (which is 6ish to me) for worship team practice Sunday morning and so I was happy & we just tell the kids they can come out when the clock says 7am (we really say it'd be best if they went back to bed, but don't care if they play in there either). :) So I think that's why it didn't bother me this year. Some days they do come in to "snuddle" but fortunately that did not come up because I can't say no to that either!

Jennie said...

Seems like we have similar Fall Back issues! And, I HATE being stuck between two hot, sleeping bodies.

Hannah said...

For me it was just one more hour of not sleeping because I knew I could get up to pee for the 14th time in a six hour stretch

I agree that fall back isn't the same with kids as it was in the good ol' days. =)

Anonymous said...

You are too funny: "What are you supposed to do now? Seriously? How about you go BACK TO SLEEP because it's practically the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT."

Our adjustment went a little smoother around here, thankfully. I sure don't feel like I got any "extra" sleep. Whateva.

Paige Lomas said...

HOT Joel made me laugh! But seriously, do all men sleep hot. All three of my boys sleep in their undies, no covers and are always hot! But I have a different story about the time change...I was on my way to work on Sunday at 3:15 and was thinking I was running later UNTIL...you guessed it, it was really 2:15. Woooo-hooo! (for me)

Stefanie said...

Oh my golly I totally agree!! Let's boycott - who do we talk to?!!

Anonymous said...

I'm just glad "they" moved the Fall Back to later in the season. We used to change the clocks earlier, closer to the end of Sept I thnk. The only thing I hate about it is when I forget that it's Fall Back, or Spring Forward and I show up an hour later or earlier than I should have! Happens often....