Pages

Monday, November 2, 2009

Halloween Memories

There is a post coming about our super fun Halloween- full of pictures of my smiling, happy kids, and their sweet, smiling, happy friends.  In the meantime though . . . a blast from the distant past.  
I loved Halloween as a kid.  We lived way out in the country, so we'd always go into town and trick or treat with my best friend, Sara, and her family.  I remember the kids walking in the front and listening to the adults laughing and talking behind us.  I remember walking down the middle of the dark street, because no one was driving on Halloween!  I remember tacos or baked potatoes at Sara's afterwards, and Sara and I would lay out our candy, much like our kids did last night.  We'd count, sort, and trade.  We'd eat a little, but not too much, because we'd want it to last for a long time.  I remember the feel of her carpet on my elbows and the heat on my cheeks from their wood stove.  Happy, carefree, warm, and safe.  I miss Sara all of the time, but probably the most on Halloween.  I'd like to think that if she were still here I would have called her last night, or today, to tell her how funny my kids are or how happy I am that they have good friends like we were.  I don't know if I would have or not, but last night after all our guests had left and my kids were tucked in I sure thought about her.

Here are a few photos of Halloweens from 15-20ish years ago . . .
(You'll have to forgive the quality.   These are scans of scans that Sara made for my wedding shower in 1999.  Our moms have the originals, and many, many more.)
Photobucket
Cat and Dog

Photobucket
Spider and Bat

Photobucket
Indian (Sara's brother, and he may never speak to me again if he sees this), Cat, Witch

Photobucket
This was our Jr or Sr year of high school and we were obviously pirates.  This was possibly for homecoming or something, I have no idea.

Photobucket
I think this was our senior year.  My mom (and I) grew that pumpkin in the back yard and Sara and I spent hours in my mom's garage cleaning it, carving it, and having a major pumpkin gut fight.

2 comments:

Mom said...

Wasn't it fun? Thanks for reminding me of all of those Halloweens! You, Sara, and Ryan were ALWAYS so excited for the night to begin! Just like your kids! I am so glad you have those wonderful memories! Love you.

Anonymous said...

Such fun! It was cool to see all those photos. I may have to dig up mine now! The pirate one looks eerily like my college roommie and I one Halloween at Linfield!