Pages

Thursday, October 29, 2009

Pumpkin Patches: Rain or Shine (or both!)

It's obviously Pumpkin Patch time of year again.  Last week we went to 2 different patches in 2 different days.  Friday, we had Carter's preschool trip to the patch.  The weather really couldn't have been nastier.  But, you know, we're PacNWerners if we're anything, so we suited up as much as possible and went for it.  It poured ridiculously hard.  It was cold, and 10 minutes into it my hands were numb, and my legs between mid-thigh and upper shin were SOAKED.

And guess what? 

The kids had a blast.

Isn't that always the way it goes?

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Carter had been eyeing this slide the entire time we were there. The thought of going on that thing made me want to get in the fetal position (in my warm, dry car, of course), and I was positive he'd want me on it with him- it's steep!  So, I told him that I thought it was probably closed, because of the rain.  While I wasn't sure this was the truth, there weren't any other groups on it, and maybe the rain made the steps and platform slippery and treacherous????  Plus, it was at the far end of the patch, and I wasn't about to walk out there and find out!  Well, because karma's a jerk, a few minutes later we saw a big group on the slide, and of course Carter The Observant noticed.  "MOM!  You're WRONG!  The slide is NOT CLOSED."  Touche.  So I came clean.  I told him that I was cold and miserable and I really didn't want to go on the slide.  But if he still wanted to when we were done picking out a pumpkin and all that, I would take him on it.  Or, we could go home and make hot cocoa!  His choice!  Obviously, he chose the slide.  And, (!!!), although by then I'd fully conceded and was ready to get a wet(ter) behind and slide with him, he insisted on sliding alone.  Small blessings, I tell ya!

The next day, as in 24 hours later, we went to a differnet pumpkin patch.  I should point out, that while it was a different patch, it was in the same state, the same county, and the SAME WEATHER PATTERN.  Although from the looks of the pictures, you'd think we were on a different planet.  It was sunny, warm, yet still a little muddy.  (Garrett chose to wear boots and shorts- classic!)  My dad joined us, as he's leaving soon for his latest adventure in SE Asia!

Photobucket
Sometimes in parenting, milestones happen that you didn't even know existed.  This was the year that Carter climbed the haystack alone.

Photobucket
Not a cloud in the sky!  Also, another milestone that caught me off guard earlier in the week.  I'd gone to Fred Meyer to buy The Bigs new mud boots.  (Carter has 3 pairs he alternates, all of which used to be G's.)  Garrett's feet are now big enough that he can't wear the cute kid boots anymore.  I had to go to the local farm store and buy him plain black ones.

Photobucket
Another unexpected milestone:  The Bigs are waaay too big for the play tractors, and Carter nearly is.

Photobucket
Carter was a big fan of the new water pumping ducky races.  So was his daddy.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Garrett sure loves his daddy these days.

Photobucket
"Everyone on top of the weird spider hay bale for the annual picture!"

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
These two sure are buddies.

Photobucket
He found the perfect one in about 30 seconds.

Photobucket
Carter took it upon himself to 'guard the pumpkins' (his words) while we helped Sissy search and seach (AND SEARCH) for her perfect one.

Photobucket
All 3 of our  huge pumpkins heading back to the hayride.

Photobucket
Quiet after a long afternoon at The Patch.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

I got a little teary-eyed this year buying Peter black rain boots in a size 2. Of course, Calvin had to have little black ones to match, so now neither one of the boys has cute boots. Although, I guess the black is cute in its own way. At least Charlotte has Hello Kitty boots to brighten up all that black!