"Mercury is toxic in all its forms. Given how much high-fructose corn syrup is consumed by children, it could be a significant additional source of mercury never before considered. We are calling for immediate changes by industry and the [U.S. Food and Drug Administration] to help stop this avoidable mercury contamination of the food supply," the Institute for Agriculture and Trade Policy's Dr. David Wallinga, a co-author of both studies, said in a prepared statement.
A year ago we made a decision to stop buying products with high fructose corn syrup (HFCS). I was sick and tired of buying 'healthy' foods like whole grain bread and yogurt for breakfast only to find out that HFCS was high on the ingredient list. My philosophy is that if I buy my kids a snow cone or cotton candy at the circus, I know I'm buying them total crap, but in their 'healthy' 9 grain sandwich bread or breakfast yogurt, no way.
I have, for the most part, stuck with it the entire year. A couple of times I'd forget to check and buy something, and end up kicking myself. (Egg nog!) But overall, HFCS as well as partially hydrogenated oils (carcinogen) do not darken our doorways anymore. I was excited to learn several months ago that due to consumer pressure, Franz bread no longer uses HFCS. A year ago, that wasn't the case, but I am thrilled to support Franz again.
Anyway. Today, there was an article in the Washington Post about mercury showing up in HFCS. Mercury. Are you freaking kidding me? I am usually a 'live and let live' person, but people, mercury in our children's snack food (and breakfast, lunch, and dinner food as well) is really unacceptable. Seriously. Read the article. Throw out the crap. No more. The only way HFCS is going to stop poisoning our children and their generation is if we, as consumers stop buying those products. It does work- it did with Franz and other companies who have made the switch in recent months.
I love how in the article, the spokesperson for the CORN REFINEMENT ASSOCIATION (HELLO!) tried to minimize the studies with words like 'dubious' and 'outdated.' Really? Nice. I wonder how much mercury laden HFCS she feeds her babies.
Seriously. Mercury.
Two Years
13 years ago



4 comments:
It is totally outrageous and unacceptable! I really wonder if any future studies will be found linking (or not) consumption of mercury with autism or other neurological conditions that have become prevelant over the past several years. Maybe not, but I wouldn't be shocked to hear it! Thank you for posting this. Very interesting article! Love you my now equally-crunchy friend! ;)
i am disgusted...and i can hear my mother's vehement responses from heaven about this too. ;)
luckily we too do not purchase anything with hfcs in it. However, I've never once thought to check my whole grain bread!
One more thing I thought you may be interested in... http://happyfoody.com/2009/01/28/high-fructose-corn-syrup-bad/
I just found it tonight on a blog I like to check. :)
Post a Comment