Pages

Thursday, November 13, 2008

More Garrett

Yesterday morning I woke up The Bigs before I left for work. I clicked on G's light and gave him some kisses. (That warm little neck- just can't resist!)

He rolls over, eyes squished shut, and says in that gravely little voice, "I think I might need a eye patch today."

This took me a little by surprise, because, you know, we don't usually (ever) wear eye patches around here, but whatever. "Really? An eye patch? What makes you think you need an eye patch today?"

One eye still squinted shut he answered, "This eye here?" (Pointing.) "It's not feeling so good."

Right. Considering that up until a few months ago he'd scream "TOOOO BRIIIIIGHT!" Whenever a light anywhere in the house would be turned on, I decided to give it some time. When I checked on him later in the day in his class his eye seemed to be doing much better. (And no, it wasn't pink eye or anything like that. It was just, well, morning eye I guess.)

The other thing I want to say about Garrett is this. I've been trying to pop in his classroom in the mornings when I drop my students off at music or wherever. The look on his face when I walk in the room always makes my day. He looks so genuinely thrilled, so sincerely happy to see me. His face lights up, he smiles, and he hugs me so tightly. I am mostly sharing this because I know that there will be a day when he is embarrassed of me, or too busy for me, or whatever and I will really want to remember this.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree that the allure of a warm little neck is too much to resist. Sean's usually squirming to get away long before I'm done.

The eye-patch thing is hilarious. Was he he completely awake?

Anonymous said...

you are so wise to love that smile and eagerness to see you now...and very wise in knowing it won't always be there.

i love g. he is hilarious!

Becky said...

I am so choked up!! Bless his little heart & eye! God gave him the perfect mama!

Melanie Penelope said...

Pop on over to my blog, Sarri - I've nominated you for a little award! :)

Paige Lomas said...

I have to tell you that while you are a good writer and your blogs are great, fab and all that...this story is best told in person and I am (bragging) telling you all that Sarri and her rendition of Garrett "needing an eye patch" is just too funny! hee hee Thank goodness you didn't need to run to the evil empire and get one...whoo! Do all your friends know exactly how close you live to such evil? :)