I always used to send home family projects when I was a teacher. "Decorate this snowman together as a family!" Fun! Family bonding!
And the idea really is. But dang. Sometimes it's all I can do to make sure my kids are clean and at school on time.
So G brings home this tagboard turkey feather a few weeks ago to decorate. As a family. I thought, "Oh fun! We'll all help! Family time!"
And then, the feather got buried under mountains of who knows what. Thank goodness for Guilt though. It piled on top of me every time I walked past G's classroom (which is several times a day now since I am working at his school) and saw 'Mr. Turkey' acquiring more macaroni and cotton ball laced feathers each day. They were so cute. And I knew it was killing G that his wasn't there yet. G-U-I-L-T. My old friend.
Finally I got my proverbial act together and we got down to business. Garrett wanted to use fabric to decorate it, and Nana Pam has lots of fabric scraps from various quilting projects. My job was to cut the fabric into little squares. Garrett had a vision of what it would look like, and Maddy and Carter were to follow his lead. Joel was the resident glue-guy.
You know what? It was really fun. And it turned out really cute. Garrett was beyond thrilled with the whole thing, since you know, he's a middle child and all.
Phew. Bring it on, Family Project Time!



2 comments:
So cute! Love that little guy. . .you are a great mom & Joel, is an amazing dad. Lucky kids, lucky you!
Since I too have sent those project home many a time...I alway thought that dad and son would enjoy the bonding time together. So, the turkey, penguin, research...whatever, dad is in charge and there is always less of an issue when I am NOT involved. Sometimes "family" can mean just father and son! No guilt here. Really.
Post a Comment