Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Out With the Old



Out with the old teeth, that is.  And the old kindergarten.  Tomorrow is the last day of school for my little Carter Mac here and today he lost his very first tooth.  That first sweet little tooth that first showed up about 5.5 years ago.  I cried when it came in then (no more toothless grin from my tiny baby boy), and I cried when it came out today.  Milestones, and all that.  He's such a big boy now.  He can ride his bike and swim and hit a baseball (t-ball).  He's scored soccer goals and can read books and do math in his head.  He's funny and smart and curious and the thought of sending him to first grade next year just about does me in.  (He'll have a wonderful teacher, I just will miss him so.)



I wish I would have gotten Abby's face here too- it was pure amazement, even though she's lost SIX TEETH already! 


 Congratulatory hug from Nana, who happened to stop by, just before the big incident!


So, yesterday Carter discovered that his tooth had gone from moderately loose to very wiggly, complete with a drop of blood.  This alternately sent him into hysterics, curled up in my lap- "I CAN'T MAKE IT THROUGH THE NIGHT LIKE THIS!  YOU HAVE TO SLEEP WITH ME!" to pure excitement, even going next door at 8:00pm to show off.


He did make it through the night, and this evening that tooth was even more wiggly and twisty.  (I know, it makes me squirm too.  Carter told Nana Pam, "My mom doesn't do teeth!" when she asked if I was going to pull it.)  He tried an apple, but it hurt too much.  There was much wiggling, twisting and a little tugging by many family members, but we finally all gave up when it was decided that it wasn't quite 'hanging by a thread' yet.  Maybe five threads.  Carter wasn't sure he could make it through another night in this state, but Nana (who had stopped by to see the very loose tooth) gave Carter a cookie and he was happily munching it, when he came over and declared that he had a loose tooth on the top too.  What he in fact had, was a WINDOW IN HIS MOUTH because that sweet little bottom baby tooth had popped right out .  .  . AND WAS NOWHERE TO BE SEEN!


Cue the huge tears and deafening sobs because swallowing one's first lost tooth was just too much to bear.  Thankfully I found the little thing, in the carpet, near many telltale cookie crumbs.  All happiness was restored and Carter paraded around his siblings and closest friends.  Happy boy.  As you can see!


Before he went to bed Maddy gave him her 'tooth pillow', which was mine as a little girl too.  His white and pink and frilly, and he is so happy.  He said to her, "Maddy, I've never done this before.  Do I just put it in there, and the tooth fairy will come?"  {He melts her heart too.}  She got him all set up!  Hopefully the tooth fairy remembers to stop by The Gibson Six household tonight!


{Had to jump back here and add this link of when Garrett boy lost his first tooth.}

2 comments:

Visty said...

Aw, congratulations to Carter! Such a big deal. I love that they all use your tooth pillow.

Ms Amanda said...

Such sweet kiddo's you have!