Pages

Sunday, March 2, 2008

A Little Hope...

The PacNW is known for it's rain. And it's gray, short, dark winter days.

But no one talks about February. And how nearly every February we get a week (or more if we're lucky) of gorgeous weather. Even when it rains now, after that week, the bright yellow daffodils and the small purple and gold crocus remind us that spring is just around the corner. We can do it, fellow PacNWers. We can! Much of the country is still covered in snow and ice. We're breaking out the flip flops!



A week or more ago the kids and I took advantage of the gorgeous February weather, clearance sale at the store, and we headed out to plant an amaryllis bulb. I love bulbs this time of year. (Have you ever noticed how BRIGHT colors are against constant gray???) Garrett and Grayson worked hard to follow the directions, and planted the innocent looking bulb. Afterward they raided the 'garden' for leftover carrots from last year, ladybugs, and just generally soaked up the sun. The 'babies' (who aren't at all), were thrilled to be outside swinging and running around.

I love this time of year!

3 comments:

Julia said...

There's nothing more beautiful than all that green with sun shining on it!

Anonymous said...

We had a gorgeous February also, a month of sunshine. I planted my bulbs in the fall, tons of tulips, narcissus and hyacynth. I can't wait for the show of color. I love this time of year also.

Tiffany said...

Yay! We had that burst of spring, but it snowed last night. boo. But, I always look forward to that burst of February faux spring. Good luck with your bulbs!