Pages

Thursday, August 23, 2007

Flowers, Flowers and MORE Flowers!

Yesterday we went to Butchart Gardens. Wow. There are really no words to tell you what an amazing place that is. Just incredible. And I love the story of how the gardens came to be. In a nutshell, the dream belonged to Jennie Butchart. Her husband had mined the limestone out of the area and it was all depleted and ugly. She wanted to beautify it, and so he let her use his hired help for man power, and she, with the help of garden designers and lots of workers, made it into the beautiful place it is today. It all took place around 100 years ago, and I could tell there was a great love story underneath it all (that's what I am going with anyway)- just so romantic. Anyway- enough words...see for yourself.

Near the entrance


Famous 'Sunken Garden'




Garrett, our observer, was always several steps behind the rest of us...and don't think that it was because his legs are shorter than the rest of ours- he was stopping to take pictures! His camera saw a LOT of action yesterday.


"What do you mean I have to stay off the grass??"


Mmmm, dahlias. I will be planting many of these in my yard (and investing in slug bait), in the coming seasons.





Besides taking pictures, Garrett's other obsession is coins. We happened to walk by this little fountain several times, and every time Garrett was sure there was enough 'moneys' for everyone, and couldn't he just have a couple of quarters? We said he could take just a few.

Just kidding, Mom.


Japanese Garden


Italian Garden


I made that skirt!


As soon as I saw these statues, I remembered that there is a picture of Sara and I on them when we came here with our moms in jr high. I'll have to dig that out when we get home and scan it in.


Coleus and Canna! MOM!!


That's just how we roll.