
Happy Father's Day, to my sweet Husband.

When you found out you were going to be a Daddy, you never flinched. You never looked back, or had a second thought. You dove in with both feet, and I thank you. You always seem to know when I can't do it one more second, and you step into frustrating situations with patience and grace. My very favorite thing is to glance at you when Maddy is dancing, or Garrett is doing his artwork, or Carter is chasing down a ball, and I see the sparkle in your eye as you watch your babes, or hear your genuine belly laugh. I love how much you love them.

You are the fun one. The one who buys 'good' cereal, and lets our Bigs play just one more turn before bed. You are the one who plays soccer past dusk, even when your allergies are killing you.

When I was pregnant and horizontal and throwing up constantly, you'd come home with dinner, and then take them on walks while I layed still and savored the quiet. When Garrett was on his way you called my mom the second I asked you to, even though we'd previously agreed that we would go it alone that time.

And when Sara died, you stayed up all night long with me and held me while I sobbed, and listened to hours of stories that had nothing to do with you.

Thank you for supporting me in getting my master's degree. All those classes and late nights and papers that I had to write. You'd pick up the kids, feed them, and tuck them in without a complaint. Remember that one night I had parent teacher conferences so late like 3 days in a row. I was tired and sad to be missing you all. When I came home, you'd hidden like 100 teeny post its all over the house with little sweet sayings on them. That was 3 or 4 years ago, and sometimes I still find them.

Last August I called you and said that I couldn't do it anymore. I didn't want to go back to teaching the next week. AT. ALL. And you knew I couldn't, and even though it put that much more weight on your shoulders, you told me we would figure it out. Several months later when I declared that I would love it if my one year off turned into an indefinate amount of time being at home, you said that you loved me being at home and again, we would figure it out. Thank you for that. And thank you for understanding why the house isn't always tidy, the laundry isn't always done, and dinner isn't always steaming on the table when you walk in.

I love you because you are an amazing dad, a fun dad, and a patient dad. But also because you adore me and make up for all my weaknesses. There are approximately eleventy-one more things I adore about you, but Carter is crying, Garrett wants to computer, and you will be home any minute...with take out because I again didn't get dinner made. I love you!



5 comments:
I read this to Aunt Minnie and didn't think I could get through it! I always cry when the subject of Sarah comes up. Our family is so blessed that you married Joel. We love him too, but probably not quite as much as you. After reading about him, on second thought, maybe I do.
You guys are absolutely adorable. I love to see good marriages!!
So sweet.
Remember that Portland Winter Hawks game...driving to Portland in the Falcon...who knew, 9 years later, that night would lead us to where we are now. We are two really lucky girls!
Wow. That made me cry. Because Joel is so sweet to you and you are so blessed, but also because I see some of the same blessings I have!
BTW- you're pretty great yourself!
Post a Comment