Pages

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Outdoor School


This morning I put my big girl on a bus headed over two hours away from me.  For approximately 55 hours.  (And counting.)
She's headed to Outdoor School, and honestly, she was very, very excited.  I, (for once in my life), did not cry like a mad woman when I told her good bye.  She, along with the rest of the Gibsons, has been sick so I am a little nervous about that.  She spent all day yesterday at home with me, downing EmergenC, gargling salt water, taking elderberry and echinacea, and on and on.  She did so without complaining at all, and when I complimented her great attitude, she replied, "Well, I REALLY want to go to Outdoor School!"
Like, I said, I did not shed a tear, but sweet Carter more than made up for it.  He was awfully sad to see his big sister go.  She graciously told him goodbye- complete with hugs and I love yous- more than once, and then as he tearfully waved and shot her the "I love you" sign, she waved and signed back to him.  Break my heart!  The boys and I (with Rebeka!), walked back to the car in silence.  When we got in, Garrett, said, "What are we going to do with out Maddy for two whole days?"  I replied that we were going to live it up!  Party!  Plus, it was ONLY TWO DAYS!  Carter was still crying and Garrett countered my reply by saying, "But she's the one who makes all the games FUN!"  There has been plenty of sibling bickering around here lately, and at times Maddy seems to be in the 'my family is so annoying' stage of life.  But dang, sibling behavior shocks this only child mama again- between Maddy's kindness in telling her brothers goodbye, to their obvious sorrow at her being gone.  (It's only two days, guys!)

Anyway, this is just another milestone for my big girl who continues to grow at a shocking pace, despite my pleading and threats.  I haven't blogged about our crazy birthday season yet, but she is, in fact, 11 now.  ELEVEN.  Say it slowly so you don't pass out.  She's amazing though- responsible, sweet, smart, funny, and kind.  I loved, LOVED Outdoor Schooler- as a camper and as a counselor for 2 years- and I know she will love it too.  I can't wait to pick her up Friday afternoon and hear her talk nonstop about how awesome it was!  (Please, please, please let her stay healthy though!)

No comments: