As promised, Carter is taking swimming lessons this week. He begged and begged and begged for me to 'sign him in' for swimming lessons, even after I assured him he was signed up and ready to go. On Sunday, I brought him home some goggles for swimming, and he wore them around the house. Absolutely loved them. I was looking forward to these lessons as well. I realized that ever since my kids started taking lessons, 6 years ago, I have always had a baby or toddler to supervise while the older kid(s) swam. 6 summers and probably 15 sets of lessons, or more, I had to pack snacks and water, books, crayons, and small toys. I had to make sure no one fell on the bleachers or ran on the wet floor or bolted into the actual pool. Funny how some of these milestones jump out when I'm not even expecting them!
Monday morning, pre-swim, we took the Bigs out to Tilikum. (More on that later!) Carter was so excited about swimming lessons, he wore the goggles on the long walk we took up to check the kids in. 10-15 minutes into the walk he said, "Mama, I don't think these goggles work very well. They are really foggy!" I looked at him, and sure enough. I shared with him the fact that swimming goggles are slightly more conducive to actual water play than hiking.
Here is Carter just before his big lessons:
Doesn't he look happy? And excited? And ready to swim?
Well, we walked in to the pool and all of the sudden my darling 4 year old son morphed into a 40 pound growth on my leg and said, "I AM NOT GOING SWIMMING." This picture was taken 5 minutes later!
See him??
Eventually, of course, he did get in the pool. But not before some negotiating, maneuvering, and a 'Come to Jesus' talk. And possibly some bribing as well! (Bribing = inappropriate, yet effective!) At one point I got a glimpse of the smirk on his face, and while I know the ensuing fit stemmed from nervousness, I also know it wasn't the full out fear that Garrett had last summer.
My mom caught this little gem. See my pointed finger? This would be "Come to Jesus, Part 1." Look at Abby, next to Carter. For the life of her, she just can't figure out why her buddy wouldn't love swimming lessons like she does! She was quite worried about him, and later in the week SO proud of him!
I would like to say, as I have to pretty much all of you already, that his swim teacher was awesome. We were a minute or two late. (Which probably didn't help the situation!) and his teacher got out of the pool and walked up to us. She asked Carter his name, and then said, "Do you have a sister named Madeline? I taught her to swim! Can I teach you to swim also?" Maddy hasn't taken swimming lessons since last summer, and while I know this girl has had Maddy more than once, I think it's pretty amazing that she knew we were Maddy's family! It definitely softened Carter a little, and at some point he did make it to the very edge of the pool. She gave him a toy to play with, but he refused it. She set it in the water, near his toes, and when she turned around to work with another child, Carter stretched his toes out to slyly pull the toy close to him. Stinker!
But, as these things usually go, each day Carter became much more comfortable in the water. Monday was the only day we had a problem, even though each day that followed Carter told me he was 'nervous' or 'afreeed.' He tried (almost) every single thing his teacher asked of him though, and he smiled and had fun. He wore his goggles, even though he never put his face totally in, and he really loved 'life jacket day.' He went from looking like a sea horse when his teacher worked with him (completely vertical and stiff) to actually laying on his back with his ears in the water. Success!
Here are a few of my favorites of Day 1, the only day I took pictures, I think?
He was supposed to be submerged at this point, but he was on the top step!
Meet Carter, the seahorse.
I think this is Carter's At-Least-I-Survived smile!









2 comments:
Each of the kids have had that first day of swimming lesson jitters. Another hurdle crossed as they grow up ... way too fast, but we wouldn't have it any other way. I am proud of Carter Mac and his courage after those first initial moments of fear and stuff!
Have you guys listened to any Justin Roberts? He has a song called "Giant Sized Butterflies" on his album Pop Fly that is about first-day jitters. My kids love it, and somehow the fact that an adult has written a song about the topic legitimizes their feelings. When we're on the way to a new activity, and they are nervous, I ask if they have giant-sized butterflies.
Post a Comment