Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Triathlon, or, WOOHOO!

So yesterday was the triathlon.  It was SO. MUCH. FUN.  It was such a cool thing to be a part of- so many strong women (and men!) kicking butt, working hard, and having FUN.  I honestly never would have guessed that 'working out' could be so enjoyable!

Here's the blow by blow- you may not need all of this info, but I want it recorded for me!

First, on Thursday my mom had my sweet, supportive kids to her house to make signs for me.  She said they each had a very specific plan and knew exactly what they wanted to communicate on their signs.  It makes my heart full to bursting when I think how proud they were of me, and how they 'got' that this was a big thing for me.  So sweet.

Photobucket

Photobucket
He wants it to be just right.

Photobucket
(by Garrett)

Photobucket

Photobucket
G adds a final touch to one of his signs- a heart!

On Saturday morning I got up and finished packing my bag.  It was pouring buckets of rain outside, so I brought plenty of gear so I'd have lots of options depending what the crazy spring weather did.  I kissed my babes goodbye and headed down to the Aquatic Center.  Parked, unloaded what I thought was alllll my gear, and walked about a block to check in.  I was so happy that Carrie, my main training buddy, was already there and had things all scoped out for me.  The rain had stopped, we set up our bikes, shoes, clothes, and after getting our (SUPER AWESOME) numbers written on our arms, went inside to watch some friends swim who were starting at 8.  Excitement built, we watched for a while and decided we'd better head down to the locker room.  I saw my mom and my kids walking up- Joel had dropped them off and gone to park.  They all hugged me and wished me 'good luck.'

Photobucket
By the way, my training buddy, Carrie, is 27 weeks pregnant with a baby girl!!  She is AMAZING!

Photobucket
One of the volunteers (a lady), insisted Carrie register "Baby August" (nickname) in the race.  What a cool story for the baby book!

Photobucket
In case you live under a rock, I REALLY LIKE MY ARM NUMBERS!  A LOT.  I may keep a permanent marker on hand and keep applying!

Photobucket
My fans!  (Looks like sweet Carter didn't get his pants zipped!)

Photobucket


By the time I got out to the pool deck, it was time to head to our lanes.  I was one of 3 people swimming my laps in the 'small pool.'  (Long story- for another blog post.)  The lane counter was super nice and explained the procedures to me.  Since I was sharing a lane with just one other lady, we were allowed to swim on our own sides of the lane, instead of having to do the usual 'circle swim.'  That was a definite advantage- I simply had to swim my laps and didn't have to worry about what anyone else was doing around me.  I felt good during the swim, really good.  I can not even properly explain how incredible it felt to have my hard work pay off.  I felt confident, strong, and smooth.  It was really, really awesome.

Photobucket
Getting the run down.  Breathing deeply!

Photobucket
Watching Mama prepare.

Photobucket
I'm the one at the bottom of the screen.  WITH MY FACE IN THE WATER!!!!


Photobucket


When I got the signal that my swim was over (the counter dipped a kickboard in the pool in front of me), I completed that lap and climbed out of the pool.  Adrenaline had kicked in, in a good way, and I felt AWESOME.  Plus, Amanda, my friend and tri mentor (and my boys' preschool teacher) was just hurrying past my pool.  She was so encouraging and excited- it was all just so fun.  I ran outside, barefoot, dripping wet but didn't even notice.  Carrie was already at her bike and starting to change.  I started to dry off and do a mental inventory of what I needed to do, and then I realized I had a big, big, very BIG problem.

I didn't have my bike helmet.

I had left it in the car, and according to rules and regulations I would not be allowed to participate in the triathlon without my helmet.  I still can't believe I didn't get my helmet out of the car.  It was on the front seat and I had set my phone and keys in it while I was unloading my bike from the back.  I'd grabbed the keys and phone, but somehow left the helmet sitting on the seat.  It still makes me sick to think of it!  Anyway, I cursed, panicked, and then locked eyes with my husband who was 30 feet from me with my whole cheering squad.  Carrie and I started yelling and screaming at him to run to the van and get my helmet.  Carrie was waving her helmet and pointing, while I was yelling directions about where I'd parked, and he RAN.  Carrie and I continued to rush- pulling off top layers of swimming gear (I swam in a sports bra with my bathing suit top over), pulling on spandex pants and shirts (thanks to baby powder and silicon spray), and drying our feet enough to get on our socks and shoes.  Now, just 24 hours later I remember the urgency (the clock was running!), but hardly remember the details.  It's mostly a blur of towels and sticky skin and rifling through my bag.  Just as we were all set, and I was telling Carrie just to go, Joel ran up with my helmet.  He's seriously my hero.  He gave it to me, and we were off.  To any actual triathletes reading this, I do realize that in a more formal tri, I would have been disqualified from taking something from someone not in the race.  Hopefully I've learned my lesson.  I am definitely not 'detail oriented'.  It was bad.

Photobucket
Getting dressed in front of God and everyone.

Photobucket
My HERO!
P.S.  That red belly shirt guy?  He was 'security' and is probably the one who should have DQed me.  He didn't even see it, and I don't think he was big on penalizing people; he was super nice.  Thank goodness.

Photobucket
A little rattled, but ready!

Anyway, we were off on our bikes.  We felt good and did lots of 'WOOHOOING!'  (LOTS.)  It was so fun because we saw so many of our friends and fellow triathletes as they were coming back on the ride and they were all big on Woohooing too.  (The bike and running courses were both out and back.)  At one point Carrie said, "My cheeks hurt because I just can't stop smiling!"  It was so much fun.  We had our fastest time yet on the bike course and felt GREAT.  The weather held out and we just got a few sprinkles.  It was actually welcome at that point though- refreshing!  As we neared the end of the bike ride, we knew we'd get to see our families.  Carrie's husband and kids were going to be there, along with Joel and our kids, my mom, Joel's parents, and Nancy, one of my mom's best friends.  We were starting to get tired, but reminded each other that just around the corner was 'family time!' and we both got another wind.  Coming around the corner and seeing everyone jumping and cheering for us, cameras clicking, signs waving- it was incredible.  I completely started crying and I think Carrie did too.  Very cool.

Photobucket
You can't really tell here, but I could not stop smiling!

Photobucket


We finished up the bike ride and I felt AWESOME.  I was anticipating major jelly legs.  I had swam hard and biked hard and didn't purposely keep 'reserves' for running.  But when we parked our bikes, guzzled some (all natural!) sports drink, water, and a couple more energy chews, we started running and the jelly legs were really not bad at all.  MUCH better than I'd anticipated!  THANK YOU ADRENALINE!  We started through the park and Carrie decided she needed to take a walk break to catch her breath.  She assured me I should keep running, and since I felt so good, I did.  I don't remember a lot about the beginning of the run.  I remember seeing (and WOOHOOing) people I knew who were on the way back from the run.  I remember a point when I thought, "My legs feel so heavy!" and I also remember wishing I had my tunes to listen to!  (No headphones were allowed due to safety- bikers, runners, and cars were all sharing the road.)  At the halfway point, I drank a small cup of water and headed back- and more WOOHOOing ensued!

The last half mile before the finish, I could see about 4 or 5 people stretched out in front of me.  If I got anything out of my high school cross country experience it was these two things:  a) Mental toughness.  Most things are 90% mental.  Definitely true for me in the training and preparation the past few months.  And, (b), FINISH STRONG.  I know it sounds cheesey, but in my mind I could hear my teammates from 14+ YEARS ago yelling for me, telling me it was time to 'kick', telling me I had it in me to pass those people before the finish line.  And I did.  I kicked hard and passed every person I could see during the half mile.  I'm generally not a very competitive person, but when I locked my eyes on these people's backs, I knew I could do it.  Finish strong!  The finish line was at the bottom of a very steep hill.  At the bottom of the hill, I rounded the corner for the finish line and I saw my friends and family (by this point, the Eitzen family and joined the cheering team), and I watched them spring into action when they realized it was me.  I heard the announcer say my name (CORRECTLY!), I saw the clock click to 2:01, and I crossed the finish line.  Friends who had already finished surrounded me and hugged me and we congratulated each other.  I went to find my family- they were all still poised just in front of the finish line, ready for Carrie to come across, and hugged everyone.  I didn't cry then, at all, but I am now thinking about it.  Any words I can think of to describe how I felt are overused and don't do justice.  Awesome, amazing, incredible- I don't know.  I just felt SO good.

Photobucket
Finish line in sight!

Photobucket
Woohooooo!

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
Showing off our toughness and AWESOME arm numbers!

I thought then I'd finished in 2 hours, but then I realized that the time that was posted was from when the FIRST group of swimmers started.  I had started 24ish minutes later, in the second swim group.  So I was much closer to 1:40 than 2 hours!  I really hadn't know what to expect for an overall time.  I didn't really have a 'goal'- my goal was to be able to DO the triathlon.  To finish.  To put in the work and reap the reward.  But of course Carrie and I discussed times.  My hope was to finish before 2 hours, but I wasn't sure.  I knew 1.5 hours would be a ridiculous best case scenario and only if every thing went amazing- probably way too much to hope for.  I told myself I would be happy with 2 hours, and thrilled with 1:45.  I didn't consider the possibility of being faster than that!

We cheered as Amanda, Carrie and "Baby August" (what Carrie's daughter calls the baby since that when she's due), crossed the finish line, and a few other friends.  The Ryans came to cheer us on too, but missed me finishing by a few minutes- who knew that I'd be so speedy?!?  HA!  By then it started to rain and I started to majorly shiver and shake.  I was FREEZING, (and continued to freeze for the next couple of hours).  Joel, the kids, and his parents headed home and my mom and I did too.  I didn't even think to look at my time before we left.  I ran into Carrie as I was pushing my bike out of the transition area.  She checked her running watch to see how fast she ran.  I knew I had come in a few minutes ahead of her and for the first time I realized that it was possible I'd run sub-10 minute miles!  I just couldn't believe that was right though- there had to be some mistake!  When I go for runs, I generally run about a 10 minute mile.  Sometimes a little quicker, but usually on long runs (5 miles and up), it's more like 10:30.  I thought that after swimming and biking I would be closer to 11 or 12.

After a super long hot shower, I went to my mom's to rest since Joel and I were going out in the evening.  The adrenaline hadn't worn off yet though, plus I had been drinking SO MUCH WATER that I just couldn't sleep.  Plus, I was trying to write down the times that I knew, to try to figure out a ball park figure for my run.  Each calculation I did had me just under 10 minute miles.  I was dying for the acutal results to be posted online.

Photobucket
I showed off my 'body markings' all evening.  In every single picture.  GO 207!

After my 'rest' Joel and I went to Portland for our night out with several other couples.  Lots of laughing, good food, yummy drinks- great night.  At one point during the night I checked my phone and found that the results had been posted!  I found out that I had run the 3.1 miles in 29 minutes and 29 seconds.  WHICH IS A PACE OF 9.33 minutes PER MILE.  WHICH IS, BY THE WAY, MY FASTEST RUN SINCE JANUARY.  And probably really, my fastest run since being a grown up.  Adrenaline, apparently, agrees with me.  My overall time was 1:35:04.  I finished 88th out of 140 and was 19th in my age group.  More importantly than all that though?  I felt good.  I felt strong!  I am proud of my hard work.  And I had SUCH a good time with friends and fellow participants.

Speaking of:  I realize completing a triathlon isn't like winning Miss America or anything, but I do have a few people I want to thank.  So many of you were supportive, excited, and enthusiastic for me. THANK YOU.  Many of you lent an ear to my insecurities, reassured me, and gave me advice.  Especially Amanda, Jennie, and David.  THANK YOU.  To Mary, Carrie, and Jen- THANK YOU for all those early (SCARY) swimming mornings!  To my mom who would take my kids so I could get in a run or do a bike ride with Joel, THANK YOU.  And most importantly to Joel and my babies.  When I thought about signing up for this I sat down with Joel.  I asked for his 100% support.  I knew I couldn't do it without it.  I told him that it would cost extra money (pool pass, registration, gear, bike tune up, etc), and a LOT of extra time.  I almost always swam M, W, F at 5:45 and ran or biked after.  That put me home by 7:15- which means he had to get the kids up and ready at least 3 mornings a week.  He's been working LONG hours and for him to consistently help me in so many ways was incredible.  He is my biggest fan and my very favorite.  He promised to give me his 100% support and not only has he never waivered, he has given 150%.  THANK YOU Joel- I love you so much!

One more:  WOOOOHOOOOO!

13 comments:

Ms Amanda said...

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOO!
Can you believe how amazing it feels to have done all the work and have it pay off? It's awesome!

Jennie said...

Yay! You did great!

islasol said...

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOO! I love that you wrote this all down- I love that you didn't leave out any details- ahhhh wow, and I can't believe it's over! So incredibly amazing. Thanks for inspiring me to do it!

Unknown said...

Thats really AMAZING Sarri! I do not know how you do it!!! You go !!!!

Anonymous said...

Here's a WOOHOO from Delaware! I'm so proud to say that my friend has run a triathlon!! I love, love, love how you captured all of your fears, emotions, elation, etc in this post. You will be glad that you did.

I "only" ran a 5k (okay, two) but I remember 1. the scary feeling of actually signing up for it, and 2. the feeling of WOW I DID IT afterwards. And how I wanted to do another one, which I did a few weeks later.

You go, girl!!

Merrick said...

Good job, Sarri.

Julia said...

There was just an Iron Man held here in ST. George, seriously amazing. It takes great skill to swim,bike and run. Congrats Sarri. You should feel truly accomplished!

Unknown said...

You are very inspiring. If I knew how to swim...

Stefanie said...

Wow - I had no idea you were training for that!

Great work - so inspiring.

I'm at a bit of a low in life and this gets me thinking about moving:)

Stefanie said...

I shouldn't have said "low in life" - but losing my dad amongst a few other things have made my passion for exercise slide way back.

Ugg. - Once again you rock!

Paige Lomas said...

You are amazing! I am so thrilled for you and totally expect you to sign up for another one within the year! You rock!

Summer said...

Way to go, Sarri!!! What a cool experience! Congratulations!

:)

Paula said...

Hi there,
I blogsurfed here from Sarah M.'s blog and I just wanted to leave a comment and say I loved this story - so inspiring it makes me want to do it! Congrats!
Paula Casebolt
Moscow, Idaho