Pages

Friday, September 5, 2008

Gooooo TIMBERS!


Last night we made a completely irresponsible parenting decision and took our kids to a Portland Timbers Soccer game. My dad had 4 free tickets, so we thought we'd better seize the opportunity. It was so worth it! Irresponsible because our kids didn't get to bed until 11 on a school night- Garrett's 2nd day of kindergarten at that! But oh so worth it because the kids LOVED it. When we were leaving Garrett said to me, in a quiet, serious voice, "Mom, I really like school. Not just playing school. I like that too, but . . . I really like my new school that I go to now." I agreed with him that it was a pretty great place. And then he said, "And also, I think I want to do school AND soccer now." The entire summer he has burst into tears whenever the topic of school came up. Towards the end of August he finally said he'd go to school but he would NOT PLAY SOCCER. (Yes, he yelled that, or at least announced it in bold.) It seems like now he's finally seeing everything come together and he knows it's all going to be okay. Phew!

So anyway, last night we met Joel in Hillsboro after work at our favorite place ever. Then we
caught the MAX train (Portland's light rail for you non-PACNW folks) and rode it into the city. The kids, especially Garrett, loved that. LOVED. We got to the game around half time, which was actually ideal. We watched the 2nd half and Garrett was mesmerized. It was an exciting game, and quite fun to see the crowd go wild when the Timbers scored. A few minutes into the game Garrett traded seats with me so he could sit by his dad and he kept asking questions about the finer points of soccer it was quite sweet.

Such a nice evening!


Some guys sitting next to us gave the kids these. I have no idea, but they said 'Portland Timbers' on them, so the kids were amped. Thanks to the guy for teaching our kids several new words, and then apologizing profusely and making the words in question stand out even more.
Whenever the Timbers scored the crowd, especially this section, went WILD. Garrett loved that. He told me, "I want to be over there at that party." Who doesn't?!?!

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Gee, it's only the first week of school. A little late to bed probably won't hurt that much and besides it's the weekend now. Sometimes you just have to seize the moment! Glad they had fun.

Paige Lomas said...

oh, if he only knew (remembered) the times that Joel coached! Those were the days! Glad Joel was there to coach him through the new words too...makes sure those don't end up in his journal at school the next day!

Anonymous said...

i heard the game from my back porch... :)

give me a call when you max it downtown again and i'll meet up with ya...

Becky said...

I am so in love with your kids~
Auntie Beck