Pages

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Big Sis

This morning was a hurried one. The alarm didn't go off, we were late to hit the ground running. Yogurt and breakfast cookies were consumed, and lunches were thrown together. In the flurried moments I didn't put notes in lunches, like I usually do. Today was a special day too- I was working in Maddy's class and Garrett had the treat of getting to eat in the school cafeteria with some friends (thanks, CB!) while I finished up my reading group.

On the way to school Maddy spelled out to me. "I-p-u-t-a-n-o-t-e-i-n-G-a-r-r-e-t-t-s-l-u-n-c-h-b-o-x." She'd known it was a special day for him, and knew I hadn't done the note thing that she swears she's embarrassed by. So as we rushed out the door she'd grabbed a piece of paper, a pen, and on the way she wrote a little note and tucked it in his lunchbox.

Dear Garrett,
I hope you had a grat day at school! I love you but your growing up so fast!
Love
Maddy

It made Garrett's day. When the morning was over and we were driving home, he told me excitedly how he opened his lunchbox and "There was this yellow note in there!! It was from Maddy!!"

My heart is so full. (Of course I snuck a note in her lunchbox before lunchtime too- how could I not? I tried to keep in non-mushy and non-embarrassing!)

6 comments:

Hannah said...

You have such sweet babies.

We miss you guys.

neeter said...

That is a wonderful big sister thing. You are blessed.

Anonymous said...

it was about 22 years ago and i still miss those notes!!!

thanks for sharing...when are we gonna catch up again? miss you guys!

Stefanie said...

You're growing great kids (individuals, really!) Sarri!

Michelle said...

That was very sweet of her. Those are the moments that we as parents live for. :)

Melanie Penelope said...

OMG, I think that is THE sweetest thing I have ever heard in my entire life. I am sitting here in tears. I love it.