Garrett borrowed some 'just right books' that my mom wasn't using. He is so proud of being able to read them! Now, if you run into us on the street, please don't ask him to start sounding out. . . we aren't there (and that's not how we're doing it anyway!), but he IS predicting, using pictures for prompts, recognizing patterns, and he has 1 to 1 correspondence- which is all 'reading teacher speak' for "YAY!"
The other day he said to me, "Oh MOM! These books are just SO good." The book read something like, "The rooster went to bed. The cow went to bed. The sheep went to bed..." Then the bed collapsed, so I guess it was that suspense really got to him!
He was quite thrilled with having the entire family as an audience last night before bedtime.



7 comments:
Oh, my SMART baby boy! Cabn't believe that we are there with him...reading! WOW!
I can appreciate your teacher talk! Have you done a running record yet? =) Way to go Garret!
I can appreciate your teacher talk! Have you done a running record yet? =) Way to go Garret!
That's awesome! But... what's wrong with sounding things out? Must tell.
^
|
|
That was Melanie, btw ;)
I don't understand your teacher talk, but it sounds like he's doing great!
Yay for Garrett! Now can you come to my house and do some reading teacher magic? Jackson is just not quite there yet - he's on his way, but he gets really irritated with the fact that I can REALLY read and he can't quite yet. So funny. I told him - everyone learns in time - just be patient! Somehow that doesn't really register with a 5 year old brain. :)
Post a Comment