Pages

Friday, October 3, 2008

Make it, but do use a potholder.

mom's apple cake


I did not take this picture. It's of the yummy cake over at Smitten Kitchen, my new favorite cooking blog. I made it last night (but didn't take a picture and you'll see why in a moment) to use up some more apples. (Less than 20 lbs to go, people!!) I wanted you to check out the recipe because it's really easy, and really, really good. My kids just finished up the leftovers for breakfast! Don't judge- it's Friday.

Anyway, I would highly recommend making the cake. What I wouldn't recommend is when you go to check it with a toothpick is burning the ^&** out of your thumb (because you used a towel instead of a potholder) and then throwing the pan on the counter. And then watching as your beautiful cake slides across your counter, and falls off on the other side. If that does happen though, be sure you have a bar stool there to catch it. Because then your dad (hearing your curses from the next room) will run in to help you retrieve your now deformed and possibly somewhat undercooked cake from said barstool. And then you both pretend that no one's rear end was parked in that barstool since the last time you wiped it down.

So anyway, it's a really good cake. And extremely easy. I think the kids left me a piece, so off to have my breakfast.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice, sarri...great visuals of an unfortunate (but admittedly hilarious) set of events...

hope it goes better next time.

how are you?

Anonymous said...

So, was it undercooked or did you pop it back in the oven to kill off some of the non-germs from the barstool?? I'm a believer of the 5-second rule with dry items, so I'm sure you were fine. It does look yummy!!
I'm so sad to be so far from the orchards of Oregon and Washington. Apples were ALL near $2 per pound when I was at the store last. Outrageous! :(

Anonymous said...

i like the blog updater thing you have on here, but mine has been posted to several times and it doesn't show up. masybe because i set it to private. hope your thumb is okay!

Becky said...

You crack me up!! Did that really happen? Do you need your auntie to buy you new potholders? Love you!!

Paige Lomas said...

Oh come on...please put in the the "bad" words! hee hee

CB said...

Okay, I think I have stopped laughing enough to type! Jeff is wondering what is making me giggle so much. And I only laugh this much 'cuz I can totally see ME doing it too!!!

Thanks for the laugh.